Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize for mainly posting only when I have a problem. But I have yet to be turned away, thank you.

I am going through my steam locos for the second go round, and picking out more to sell. I got this 302 from dead to really wants to run when the e unit cycles properly. When I move the plate down manually the prawl drops fine. when I activate the solenoid electrically the prawl sticks up, unless i gently push in on the end of the prawl that sticks out of the side of the unit frame, then it falls down fine.
I read some time ago on the forum someone with a similar problem and good advice was given. The "search this forum" and I didn't get along again so I had to resort to starting this thread.
Thanks ahead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Upon further investivation:

It seems the plate that the solenoid pulls up to move the prawl is not dropping down fully on one side. Looking at it from behind it is slanted, (attached picture). It is not rubbing anywhere, and the two little ears that fit in the holes in the frame don't look like they could be binding.
I even glued a washer on to the plate to add weight, still hangs up on one side.
Maybe best to put a different unit on.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,038 Posts
ALL of my e-units perform as new, here's what I do. I completely tear the unit down, and remove the drum. I won't go into polishing the drum and adding new fingers as you probably have already done that.. I roll a piece of sand-paper up and polish the drum axle holes, and also polish the insides of the e-unit. I then bend the small brass finger that engages the teeth on the drum. Bend it towards the fingers. Remember, that small finger has been engaged into the teeth and possibly bending it out of it's original shape.I also check the "d-shaped" hole the small brass finger rides in for any burrs,etc, that could hold up the operation. I don't think the solenoid plate being bent has anything to do with it. Add the tiniest drop of oil to all the moving areas. Run the e-unit as dry as possible as oil will attract dirt, causing sticking.Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update,
Flyernut thanks for assuming I did the drum and fingers routine. I have been listening to you for some time. 'tho with these locos I am digging out, I just want to get them running as best I can w/o spending $ on them. When I sell them I make sure the buyer knows what they are getting. So with the fingers I only very carefully shine them up and it seems to be working well.
Now the update on the sticky reversing unit. I hated to take it apart to try to bend the brass finger / pawl. I was also not sure which way, toward the fingers, up, or sideways.
Any how before I took it apart I read, (Tom Barker's book I think) about the plate possibly being magnetized and sticking up, the fix was easy to try. Slipped a piece of card stock between the plate and the solenoid and it worked like a charm. It either kept the plate from magnetically sticking or it kept the plate from going up so far and keeping the pawl from getting caught. Creating the same effect as if I had bent the pawl the way you described.
Thanks for keeping me at it, I was about to list the 302 as "wanting to run, but w/ a malfunctioning reversing unit".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,038 Posts
Update,
Flyernut thanks for assuming I did the drum and fingers routine. I have been listening to you for some time. 'tho with these locos I am digging out, I just want to get them running as best I can w/o spending $ on them. When I sell them I make sure the buyer knows what they are getting. So with the fingers I only very carefully shine them up and it seems to be working well.
Now the update on the sticky reversing unit. I hated to take it apart to try to bend the brass finger / pawl. I was also not sure which way, toward the fingers, up, or sideways.
Any how before I took it apart I read, (Tom Barker's book I think) about the plate possibly being magnetized and sticking up, the fix was easy to try. Slipped a piece of card stock between the plate and the solenoid and it worked like a charm. It either kept the plate from magnetically sticking or it kept the plate from going up so far and keeping the pawl from getting caught. Creating the same effect as if I had bent the pawl the way you described.
Thanks for keeping me at it, I was about to list the 302 as "wanting to run, but w/ a malfunctioning reversing unit".
Good for you!!The bend I mentioned would be side-ways.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top