Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
John, a friend stores his in cardboard boxes that had wine/champagne. Keeps them on the storage racks on their sides. Says the best part is when he "empties" the boxes!:)

Jim

·
Yard Master & Research
10,863 Posts
Try a sports card shop. They have a Monster box that may hold four. You need the boxes that store hard covers. They are about 3 by 4 and in different lengths.

I forgot about them till you asked the question. I also am thinking about more storage . I even have an antique trunk I'm customizing.

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Not sure about that specific size, but I've used several plastic bins with clip-on lids found commonly at Walmart and the like. Line 'em with soft foam, wrap the trains with microfiber cloths.

TJ

·
Registered
232 Posts
I bought a bunch of rubbermaid boxes at the Dollar store and they work great. I think that they were like...a buck a piece.

Use decessident (sp?)* or poke holes in them so they can breathe.

*Those little packets that say "Do Not Eat" that you get with your electronics.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
John, a cheap alternative is to visit one of the larger liquor stores in your area. I'm currently packing to move, and have a basement full of boxes labelled as the finest bourbons available. I go to one of the discount liquor stores, where they put the empty boxes up front for customers to pack their own purchases. They're free, they make you look like a classy guy with good taste (and a serious drinking problem), and they don't have the moisture problem plastic does.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Another good one to check a spell checker or dictionary with is "Lissajous." You don't even find it in some "unabridged" dictionaries.
BB

·
Registered
980 Posts
Here's a fun alternative for you - the 35lb kitty litter boxes. Here, we have 3 cats and we've been collecting those plastic bins for a long time. They're very useful - they have handles for carrying, are very strong, and stack neatly on each other. Not to mention most people would love to get rid of them. :)

I use them for all kinds of storage. With some bubble wrap or other padding they do a great job of keeping everything safe.

·
Admin
45,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is a ten inch box. They are longer versions too. I haven't stopped to look at them all. I went last Tuesday and they were closed.
It's a 10" box from where? If it's strictly a local place near you, that probably doesn't help me. :)

·
Yard Master & Research
10,863 Posts
Try a sports card shop. They have a Monster box that may hold four. You need the boxes that store hard covers. They are about 3 by 4 and in different lengths.

I forgot about them till you asked the question. I also am thinking about more storage . I even have an antique trunk I'm customizing.

Sport cards or Trading cardss collectables, these are extra wide for plastic for toploaders. They are about 3 by 4 and can be from 4 to 16 inches. The monster boxes have three or four rows.
I found a site but I am not sure of the height.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts