Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on an HO Scale layout of a modern city and am considering adding more detail to my streets.

So far, they're just painted gray.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on making a street look a little more detailed.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Very respectfully,

Tony

·
16,666 Posts
Tony,

Welcome. Take a look at the thread showing my recent visit to the South Shore (MA) model rr club. Quite expansive and detailed, however there's one section where they have a city section that looks incredibly detailed, EXCEPT it's really not ... it's simply PHOTOS of real buildings wallpapered on simple plywood. They've added real (3D) fire escapes and downspouts and the like for extra depth and detail, but the simple photo wallpaper "trick" is impressive.

Go to this thread below, and then look at the pics in Post #11, especially the one that talks about the photo wallpaper buildings:

http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=4772&highlight=south+shore

Regards,

TJ

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Tony Bada-Bing

@TJ: Thank you for the help, however I checked the link you sent me and didn't see any images. I saw a link within the link but it's only a poster for the convention. Is there another link I should follow?

@SmokeStack Lightning: I'll get some pictures up as soon as I can. But do you have any advice for what I'm looking for?

Very respectfully,

Tony Bada-Bing

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do I put images here? The "Insert Image" option is asking me for a URL. I don't have one for my pictures. They're just here on my computer.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,907 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are images of what I have so far. As I said and as you can see, the road itself is quite plain- just gray paint. I was thinking of adding some more details: drains, mild cracks/wear and tear, sewer lids, etc.

I appreciate any suggestions anyone may have.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,907 Posts
Here are images of what I have so far. As I said and as you can see, the road itself is quite plain- just gray paint. I was thinking of adding some more details: drains, mild cracks/wear and tear, sewer lids, etc.

I appreciate any suggestions anyone may have.

Thanks.

It worked I can see them.:D

Oil stains? Skid marks? Lines?

Road kill?:D:thumbsup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tony Bada-Bing

@Big Ed: Those are good ideas, I'm a bit hesitant about road kill- don't usually see that in a city (at least I haven't). Now, how would I go about making those details? What materials/techniques would you recommend?

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,907 Posts
@Big Ed: Those are good ideas, I'm a bit hesitant about road kill- don't usually see that in a city (at least I haven't). Now, how would I go about making those details? What materials/techniques would you recommend?

The road kill in the cities gets cooked up by the homeless people that's why you don't see them.:laugh:

I never did any detailing to road ways myself.

Air brush?
Weathering chalk?
Real oil stains?:D:thumbsup:

I think shaygetz will know, let the post sit a while, I am sure someone here has first hand experience doing it.

·
16,666 Posts
@TJ: Thank you for the help, however I checked the link you sent me and didn't see any images. I saw a link within the link but it's only a poster for the convention. Is there another link I should follow?
Tony,

You should be able to go to that link, then scroll down (or page down) until you get to Post #11 in that link (i.e., the eleventh post). There, you should see the photos I'm talking about.

(Note ... sometimes if you're not logged in, some photos won't appear. Not sure why.)

Regards,

TJ

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,907 Posts
Tony,

You should be able to go to that link, then scroll down (or page down) until you get to Post #11 in that link (i.e., the eleventh post). There, you should see the photos I'm talking about.

(Note ... sometimes if you're not logged in, some photos won't appear. Not sure why.)

Regards,

TJ

Thats to make you log in or sign up.:D

The link worked for me though I didn't get it the first click.
I had to close then re open it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@sstlaure: What are weathering chalks? I'm kinda new to the hobby.

@shaygetz: That's a good idea. Looks pretty realistic for an asphalt appearance. I'll definately keep in in mind for any future projects. Do you have any reccommendations for anything that resembles a concrete/cement road?

Thank you both for the ideas.

I'm still welcoming other ideas, too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Also, what can I use to make traffic lines, arrows, etc? I know Preiser has stickers- just looking for other ideas and suggestions.

Also, anyone else here doing something similar- a modern city layout?

-Tony Bada-Bing

1 - 20 of 76 Posts