Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Model Railroad is set in the 1950s and I am trying to install street lights. Everything I have read so far has the lights spaced way to far apart for a model railroad. I was therefore wondering how far apart I should put the lights. I was thinking maybe 50 scale feet. Anyone have any suggestions as to how many scale feet apart I should place the lights? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
My thought is to do some experimentation and go with what looks good to you. Decide how bright you want you want the lights to be, then space them to get the coverage you want. We have to space them closer together because the lights we use don't put out as much light as the 1:1 scale ones do. I'm not sure there really is a set standard.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I agree with Flyboy. You'll need to do some experimentation and go with what looks good. We almost always have to compress distances on our model railroads for space reasons. If you have city blocks on your railroad, they are most likely not to scale either. I would put street lights at the intersections like you'd find in real life. If you have industrial areas, I'd put lights around them in a similar fashion to real life even though your industrial area is also likely compressed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts