Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven’t finished dialing in my Streets loop yet, but I’m far enough along that I can do some street running. My small switchers all track well around the loop (smallest diameter O27), but the PRR A-5 valve gear hits the sidewalk around the town park. I trimmed that back, but it still hits. It also hits the median divider. The valve gear sticks out about ¾” from the outer rail and is about 3/16” off the ground (top of rail). Haven’t decided yet if I will trim more off the sidewalk/median divider or just not use the A-5 on the street. Also, the rigid foam rock formation I made to hide the IR reflector interferes with all but short rolling stock. That I will take care of.

Anyone else do street running?

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Yes, nicely done.

I plan on doing the same with my HOm line. I have a parking track coming of the mountain spur on the other side of the layout that is never used because it is nearly out of sight and too short to hold even a five passenger train.

I'm going to extend it around the inside of, and below, the far curve in the layout and bring it through a tunnel portal through the high rock wall and run it down the opposite side of the existing station. That will put the track almost in the center of the street. The main DB tracks are on the close side of the photo.

This will be a stub-end stop, and the train will have to back out to the main mountain spur again for continuous running. But it does give another chance to stop at a station and more operating possibilities.

The portal will be located just about between the two structures in the far background through the exposed rock wall. The radiii will be tight at about 16" or 17", but that's not unusual for the RhB.

This is a project for down the road, maybe this coming winter. I have a lot of catenary to install before this happens.

Reactions: DennyM
1 - 4 of 4 Posts