Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody I am sorry if the last post I made did not delete I promise to look more carefully before asking a question and if it did not delete please tell me how to delete posts or if I even can delete posts. But my question is for using Styrofoam for terrain should I buy a Styrofoam cutter? Maybe the better question is should I even use Styrofoam? Please tell me your opinion in a reply ( I keep wanting to say in the comment section) And also due to the fact right now my train layout is a blank wooden 4X8 table please do not ask me for pictures ... unless if you want a picture of a blank 4X8 wooden table. Thank you for reading.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
question 1] styrofoam cutter, lots of different ones available, I used old weller soldering gun with piece of house 16g copper for heated cutter element, low cost, and also made a nichrome wire cutter, 24v transformer, for 'flat' cuts ...some use razor knife or hacksaw blade, messier but cheaper ..
question 2], styrofoam is easy to shape, for under track and for terrain, and low cost, I think faster than plywood or cardboard methods, use the coloured foams [blue, green, pink] stronger and finer grain than white 'bead board' foam

·
Registered
490 Posts
Another thing many people use is a electric knife (turkey carver). Don't use your kitchen one, but pick up another (and clearly label it so there is no confusion). They are usually around $15 dollars at Walmart, Target, etc. They do make a mess, but will cut many different types of foam.

·
Registered
9,854 Posts
I'll answer your questions "yes" and "no".

By all means, use Styrofoam -- the extruded foam insulating kind, not beadboard that is used for packing materials. It's a great material for creating all kinds of terrain, and strong enough to be load-bearing (at least, at the levels found on a layout) without a lot of additional reinforcement. No need for a plywood foundation.

No, I wouldn't waste my money on a dedicated foam cutter. So many other things work just as well. I use the same fine hacksaw blade holder that Magic shows above, except I've never seen the need to put a point on mine.

Heated element cutters have the advantage of not creating all the dust, but they produce toxic fumes. Seeing how easy it is to get rid of the dust with a vacuum, that's a poor trade-off in my book.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts