Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
How sad indeed! Reminds me of the time back in the 1960's when I was wondering around the UP yards in Council Bluffs taking photos and I came upon a long string of UP 4-8-4s waiting for the cutting torch. Ruined my day.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
I think the photo most appropriate to the theme is the GG-1 with the Dead End sign... :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
721 Posts
I saw at least one piece of equipment in the video that I actually worked on back when I was young!

(Amtrak turboliner, formerly used on the Hudson line between Albany and G.C.T.)

What does that tell you about me...? ;)

·
Registered
447 Posts
The railroad companies need to be responsible for cleaning up the remnants of their trains and infrastructure on abandoned lines. The toxic long-term damage probably would be consider massive toxic Super-sites. Veins (tracks) of rail contamination litter the country, seeping into underground drinking water tables and rivers. Expensive task, yes.

·
Registered
8,696 Posts
Lots of interesting (and many more non-so-interesting) automobiles end up in salvage yards or scrap metal fields, and the airforce parts old bombers and tankers out in the desert.

I've seen similar loco graveyards and such in England, Germany and India, so its not just us.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
The railroad companies need to be responsible for cleaning up the remnants of their trains and infrastructure on abandoned lines.
Agree 100%. And since they are just rusting away, they should be turned into scrap metal to keep us from buying more inferior Chinese iron. I wonder what kind of legislation would be needed to make the RRs responsible for their messes?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I wonder what kind of legislation would be needed to make the RRs responsible for their messes?
Probably the same miraculous bill that would require gas&oil to be responsible for *their* messes. Technically they're supposed to clean up after themselves, but in reality they just ditch the property with a shell company that claims bankruptcy.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Agree 100%. And since they are just rusting away, they should be turned into scrap metal to keep us from buying more inferior Chinese iron. I wonder what kind of legislation would be needed to make the RRs responsible for their messes?
please no more government interference we have enough of this crap.
man cant even vist a train forum any more..................

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Probably the same miraculous bill that would require gas&oil to be responsible for *their* messes. Technically they're supposed to clean up after themselves, but in reality they just ditch the property with a shell company that claims bankruptcy.
Yeah, I was thinking of that when I typed that sentence. Between oil & gas, and coal mining, my county is pretty messy in places.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Well that video was a little all over the place, featuring

- abandoned trackage
- clearly not-abandoned track
- fully abandoned locations (track and structures)
- abandoned buildings beside track that appears active
- abandoned industrial spurs behind buildings that are probably still active but not using rail
- abandoned and rusting equipment
- stored but not "abandoned" equipment
- partially scrapped equipment likely stored for parts
- partially scrapped equipment clearly in an actual scrap/salvage yard being actively scrapped
- some shots of lines or equipment in rough shape but actually active
- lots of shots clearly from Eastern Europe when the title of the video is "in America"

The really old B&W footage at the very beginning was personally interesting though - that's in my home town, featuring a really early view of the international tunnel between Sarnia, Ontario, Canada and Port Huron, Michigan, USA

1 - 15 of 15 Posts