Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm a new member, looking for some helpfull advice. Haven't enjoyed the hobbie for over 35 years. Im in a new home that's got an attic with a 8'×15' space available for a train layout. I've been scouring the internet looking for ideas to fit this space. I would love to hear any and all suggestions for my available space. I respect your years of experience in the Hobbie and would love to hear what you would do with this space. Access is from the 15 foot side.

Scale.................HO
Power................DCC
Time period......70-80s

I live in Toronto, Ontario, 🇨🇦. I want to run Canadian National engines and pull freight. Cargo and oil tanks.

Thanks for any suggestions and ideas you many have.

Bailey

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Hi Bailey. I googled "model railroad layout suggestions in attic" and got a pretty good listing of articles you could read. I have no experience with attic layouts, but there are a lot of them out there. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Is attic insulated, with heat and air conditioning? Windows at each end?

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
My layout is in the attic. The floor is 26’X20’. The platform is about 1’ from the floor so it is roughly 20’X20’.

I would definitely insulate your attic. But make sure you leave an air space between the roof and the insulation. I used mostly R-11 fiberglass insulation for my attic train room, but if I was doing it today, I would use rigid foam. Also, if possible, install a gable end fan. I have a 15” fan that keeps it tolerable for a few extra months. I built an insulated box around the fan so I can close it off in the winter. Run more power for lights, trains, electric heater, dehumidifier, etc. if needed before you install the layout. I use a 1500-watt portable space heater in the winter. Between the heater and the fan, I can make it comfortable on all but the coldest or hottest days. But I’m near Philly and that might be harder in Toronto winters. I recently hooked up Rube Goldberg A/C for the attic that does a half decent job. You might want to look into A/C before you get too far along.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My layout is in the attic. The floor is 26’X20’. The platform is about 1’ from the floor so it is roughly 20’X20’.

I would definitely insulate your attic. But make sure you leave an air space between the roof and the insulation. I used mostly R-11 fiberglass insulation for my attic train room, but if I was doing it today, I would use rigid foam. Also, if possible, install a gable end fan. I have a 15” fan that keeps it tolerable for a few extra months. I built an insulated box around the fan so I can close it off in the winter. Run more power for lights, trains, electric heater, dehumidifier, etc. if needed before you install the layout. I use a 1500-watt portable space heater in the winter. Between the heater and the fan, I can make it comfortable on all but the coldest or hottest days. But I’m near Philly and that might be harder in Toronto winters. I recently hooked up Rube Goldberg A/C for the attic that does a half decent job. You might want to look into A/C before you get too far along.
View attachment 548214
Fantastic! My attic is not as high as yours. I am currently insulating the attic floor with Rockwood.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
The Atlas publications have several layouts. You can see these by going to atlasrr.com and looking at their HO track packages. The numbers match the layouts in their publications. Might give you some ideas -- I think the description gives the space required.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Atlas publications have several layouts. You can see these by going to atlasrr.com and looking at their HO track packages. The numbers match the layouts in their publications. Might give you some ideas -- I think the description gives the space required.
I will check it out, thank you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Doing research for several weeks now on first locomotive and power solutions. I've chosen and purchased the NCE Power Cab and a GP40-2 CN engine. I picked this one because it is a 4 axle, I'm Canadian and the number 70 which is my birth year. But mainly based on the excellent advice received from this site!

Just have to finish my attic. Thank you guys for all your help.

My attic is coming along. Can't wait to start the benchwork.

The house was built in 1942, so I have lots of wiring to bring up to code, as you can see! Lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts