1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

With help from a fellow model train enthusiast, I have decided on a
6 X 10 Platform in my basement. As of now, we are going to be using
a styrofoam board on top to help with the noise of the trains going around.
I have no intentions of braking up the foam for scenery purposes as some
videos have shown. So, when I do decide to lay down say, dirt, grass etc.
what is used to stick the material to the foam? Also, if I lay the green grass mats that are sold, I am in the same situation. I have heard that a solution of water and elmers glue works.
Any input would be most appreciative.'

AlRoz

·
Registered
993 Posts
Hi Everyone,

With help from a fellow model train enthusiast, I have decided on a
6 X 10 Platform in my basement. As of now, we are going to be using
a styrofoam board on top to help with the noise of the trains going around.
I have no intentions of braking up the foam for scenery purposes as some
videos have shown. So, when I do decide to lay down say, dirt, grass etc.
what is used to stick the material to the foam? Also, if I lay the green grass mats that are sold, I am in the same situation. I have heard that a solution of water and elmers glue works.
Any input would be most appreciative.'

AlRoz
A thin mixture of Elmers glue , water, and a drop of dish detergent, like dawn or something like that works good for ballast, or grass ground cover folage,building trees,stuff like that, but sense you are using foam sheeting,right? you MUST ues a glue made for styrene ,go on line or go to your local craft store such as Michaels, or hobby lobby ect.for the correct glue, [glue made just for foam] after your grass mat is glued down,sense it has a plastic backing ,you can do from that point what ever you want.......Mike

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Big Mike,
I just realized something after reading your reply again. Actually, the intent here is to lay the green mat over the foam. So I was concerned if the Elmer's solution that you mention can still be used.
Thx

·
Yard Master & Research
11,159 Posts
The green mat is paper. I use paper white glue to adhere it to foam. That is what I use for car loads. Thinning helps in spreading and prevents lumps. The cheep paper glue is fine for backing paper. I use a sponge brush, for large ares use a big sponge.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I would test a small sample with the glue to see if its going to be ok,if so then the elmers glue will work, ......as long as it does what you need it to do,with out any problems,or melt the styrofoam , its all good,I don't think elmers glue will hurt ,its not that strong....mike

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wonder if anyone else has noticed that particle board works pretty well for layouts IF it is well supported--I think just laying as sheet on the plywood would work. Takes screws, nails, paint, etc. with no problem. It's not as quiet as foam but it's pretty good, I think.

Steve

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,965 Posts
I think nothing you do will get rid of the noise of the O trains rolling down the rail.:D

Did you mention what kind of track your planning on using?
Different track, different levels of noise but in the end they are all noisy.

Go with N scale if you don't want a lot of noise.

Fast track? I don't think foam will help at all.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Big Ed,
The track is MTH's RealTrax. I have seen video's that show the use of the stryrofoam on top of the platform and also to be used to sculpture sceanary etc. I do not plan on doing this. I am trying to find suggestions as to painting the board after laying the track down or as mentioned, using the green conventional mat and use that as the base.
Not quite sure what to do at these beginning stages.

Alroz

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Big Ed,
The track is MTH's RealTrax. I have seen video's that show the use of the stryrofoam on top of the platform and also to be used to sculpture sceanary etc. I do not plan on doing this. I am trying to find suggestions as to painting the board after laying the track down or as mentioned, using the green conventional mat and use that as the base.

Alroz
Paint before you lay the track!

( Been there. )

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Dave,
When mentioning about the painting, i am referring to painting the styrofoam board
after laying it down. The guy at the hobby shop recommends to lay the track down on it, then tape around the edges etc and then paint the board as well as the sides of the platform.
I have a little problem visualizing the board painted green.

thx - Alroz

·
Registered
993 Posts
Big Ed,

Alroz
I have had good results in painting that type of styrofoam,I used a good grade of interior laytex ,it seems to stick to it good,and as dave said ,paint your board first,you will have better results,and a cleaner looking layout........................JMO Mike

·
Registered
993 Posts
I wonder if anyone else has noticed that particle board works pretty well for layouts IF it is well supported--I think just laying as sheet on the plywood would work. Takes screws, nails, paint, etc. with no problem. It's not as quiet as foam but it's pretty good, I think.

Steve
yes it does, I have used it in the past, in fact, thats what is on my new layout,with home-a-sote ? on the top of it,my fastrack layout is really not that noisey,as I have stated in another thread,unless I run my trains really fast ,I don't have noise,............but the real trains are very noisey,its just part of it,so I don't understand why every one is so hell bent about the noise? I mean,we buy trains with sound boards ,accys,that play music ect.so whats up?...............Mike

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,965 Posts
Make sure to get the right paint.

Some will melt the foam.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi,
I have another question, it is mentioned here to paint the platform before laying down the
styrofoam, since I am not going to paint areas that the foam is going to lay on, can I just glue the foam board to the platform and then do the painting.
Also, any suggestions as to the green color tone that will seem realistic?

thanks,

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,965 Posts
Hi,
I have another question, it is mentioned here to paint the platform before laying down the
styrofoam, since I am not going to paint areas that the foam is going to lay on, can I just glue the foam board to the platform and then do the painting.
Also, any suggestions as to the green color tone that will seem realistic?

thanks,

No sense wasting paint if your not going to see it, glue it down as is, I say.

Color is up to you.
Go to Home Depot, they have thousands of colors they will make up for you.

What you could do if your stuck on a color decision is get a few in their sampler sizes and take them home to see which looks best to you.

I have a box with around 12 sampler colors as they came in handy for painting my ROCK. And other stuff.

(My ROCK)
http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=5314

·
Registered
30 Posts
Years ago I read that a common mistake is to use too dark of a green for the layout base color; most of the world's fields are not Chemlawn or ping-pong table green but, rather, more of a yellow-tannish green in overall color. Once that was pointed out, I had to agree that the nice rich green used in the common paper grass mats only really looked right in a well-watered suburban lawn scene. A lightish yellowish green was recommended. I had an almost chartreuse can mixed up that started out looking rather garish on the empty board (wife was very skeptical!), but once I started adding things I think it worked out well. I think the whole effect is just brighter and easier to see the various other structures, etc. compared to how they are on a dark background. Maybe the picture will give an idea--on my computer screen it comes thru as lighter than it really is.

However, I surely don't mean to impugn anyone else's personal preference!

Steve

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts