Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
I have a OO train set received as a gift from 1980. I’m in the process of cleaning & lubricating. I watched a how to video on YouTube the other day, then got to work on my own train. I noticed the cover of the ring field motor isn’t properly attached as a clip on the right hand side has broken off. I’m still having issues with some of my engines on my layout, so I figured I’d check the trains first. I’m thinking of using foam tape at the top of the motor, to keep everything together. The motor still runs after all these years.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Fashion a new u-shaped clip out of brass sheet. Not sure how much room you have to work with...

Tom

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Tom.
I remembered I have some brass strips but I think they're at my sister's place. I think home depot sells brass sheet, or I think I can get some at my hobby shop. I also thought of drilling small holes in the cover, then using screws to keep everything together or body clips.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
That is a good idea. Any real mechanical fix is better than tape!

Screws will work, try small self tapping screws.

Use the heaviest brass sheet that you can cut with heavy duty shears(scissors) and bend it with pliers to you get good sharp corners.

Good luck with your repair!

Tom

·
Registered
121 Posts
Orrrrrr... do what I did... gutted the ringfield and installed a cd drive motor! Lots of info on youtube, worked out great, but my motor was totally shot!!! May have some photos somewhere, will have to look..
Darren

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Darren.
I don't have a cd motor so I'll have to see what I can do to fix my little problem. Its also been suggested to me that I buy everything new, but then I wont know how things work or if I can fix it with a little soldering.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Good point, my motor was totally frozen and back plate was melted, so cd motor was easiest option, if you cannot get it all working with repairs, I bought 2 cd motors and extra gears that I will send you at no charge to help keep a train running, pm me if interested.
You would need to supply your own resistors because without them the motor goes waaaaay too fast! 🙂
Let me know.

Darren

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Everyone.
I drilled a couple of small holes this morning where the plastic clips used to be, then put in 2 small screws. I tested the motor and it runs fine, not knowing if I would have any interference from the screws as they’re close to the power pickups. I might try putting in a body clip to see if it makes a difference, & shortening the clip so it doesn’t stick out like the screws. I just need to repair my brothers HO locomotive now, then my HO sd40.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts