Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, for those of you who don't know, I'm 17, and I play with my trains as though I were 10. I have my HO layout I can always work on, but sometimes I have the need to run my Lionel collection, so my brothers and I build huge carpet layouts. We then usually build LEGO and Lincoln Log towns, fill the hoppers with LEGOs, etc.

So this is the one my brother and I built last week. Every day, I thought of ways to make it bigger and better, and it has transformed into this. I am using my gantry crane, and a handful of fun operating cars. Then I thought to use some of my Trainmaster locomotives, so I set that up. It makes it easier to work the sidings, because I am not stuck at the transformer. This is the easiest possible Trainmaster setup possible, so this might help some newcomers with questions.

IMG_0692 (Medium).jpg

IMG_0694 (Medium).jpg
This crane was the coolest thing I got last Christmas.

IMG_0695 (Medium).jpg

IMG_0704 (Medium).jpg

IMG_0706 (Medium).jpg

IMG_0709 (Medium).jpg

IMG_0711 (Medium).jpg
I built this LEGO train station.

IMG_0708 (Medium).jpg

IMG_0720 (Medium).jpg
These are my babies. Boston and Albany 618 and NYC 5344. I've actually had the B&A since before I was born and I bought myself the 5344 about a year ago.

IMG_0722 (Medium).jpg
This is my Train Master Command Control setup. It is as simple as connecting the terminal on the reciever base to the U post of the transformer. Then you must make sure that the U post connects to the outside rail (either one). And the A or B post goes to the inside rail. Then you just plug in the transformer and the command base, put a loomotive on, and bring the transformer up to 20 volts. MAKE SURE THE COMMAND BASE IS PLUGGED IN FIRST. Otherwise your engine might take off on you. The other wires you see are for a yard light and the constant voltage for the operating track.

IMG_0721 (Medium).jpg

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,036 Posts
Cool Dude.......I am 49 and holding for years now. :p

I still like playing with trains! :D

One of these days you might have the room to put it all on a table. :smokin:

You have a carpet, plus hardwood layout. :smilie_daumenpos:

I see a switch that goes under a door, where does that go?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Way to go, NYC 5344! You just took me back to my youth; I thank you for that. I'm so glad that young people still get how cool it is to be involved with their trains. You're learning about electricity; about design; about budgeting for things you want by not asking for everything you really don't need - and maybe for those who read your thread, it's a way to be involved in a very cool website with people who know so much about how to fix and run trains. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
My crane is one of my best Christmas presents too.

I enjoy playing with mine, as do my grandchildren.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the kind words, guys. I knew you would appreciate the fact that I am involved in this. Frankly, I love toy trains. Of course, it doesn't hurt that I want to be an electrical engineer when I grow up, I already have a pretty advanced education. And yes, I have BIG plans for a future layout, the New York central filling up an entire ranch-style house. I figure why not dream big?

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,036 Posts
Where does the switch go under the door?

Do you have another room with track on the other side or is that just for looks and dead ends there?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope. That's affectionately known as the train room. That's where my HO layout is and my collection of lionel rolling stock. That's where I put cars on the track.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,036 Posts
OK, Nosy Ed has to know all the details. :D

You better watch you don't SCRATCH THAT HARDWOOD FLOOR! :p

Or maybe you can get some running rails for the crane and tack them down to the hardwood so the crane rolls back and forth.:p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts