Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scott announced that they are taking reservations for GP 7 and 9, production planned for 2020. Road names on the website. Cost $699 each.

N and W used for years; artistically perfect black paint and a string of coal cars. Have to have at least three. Time to save $$$ again.

P

·
0 Posts
Good news for you and many, Bill.

Good reminder for me, I have to contact him about the Avelia.

·
Registered
779 Posts
you beat me to this fantastic announcement am guessing to many irons in the fire for a 2019 product delivery! but is okay I am seriously considering a CBQ version if paint scheme is of the black/grey/red/yellow this is what I grew up seeing at the large switching yard lead below mounds park bluffs in st paul,mn

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
$699 each??? Ouch!!! :eek: I realize time and prices march onward, but it doesn't seem THAT long ago that we paid $849-ish for Lionel's DIE-CAST ES44's, which came with the latest Legacy Railsounds. Those ES44's looked and sounded great.

Even today, the typical "street-price" for a non-diecast Lionel Legacy diesel sits in the mid-$400's to the low-$500's. And you can easily save another 10-15% in MTH-land. Seems Sunset / 3rd Rail is really positioning themselves as the model train equivalent of the fashion world's couture line of products. Nice products, but we pay through the nose for them. Only so many times I can consider doing that. I guess by announcing now for a 2020 delivery helps the medicine go down a bit easier. But don't forget to save some pennies for the shipping costs too. ;)

David

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
to me any way Lionel MTH and to some extent AtlasO are toys in comparison. Fixed pilots, easily converted to kadee, detail you can’t get anywhere for the price. I’m very much desire the F3 which are due this summer but the J3 Hudson has my funds for 2019. So with that said, I’ll be getting two of these puppies. Question is which ones?????

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........

With two Legacy and two PS2 Geeps the roster has more than it needs now. I would have opened my wallet for some E7s in the NYC Beauty Queen paint scheme but Scott seems disinterested in doing them again.

Pete

·
Registered
898 Posts
$699 each??? Ouch!!! :eek: I realize time and prices march onward, but it doesn't seem THAT long ago that we paid $849-ish for Lionel's DIE-CAST ES44's, which came with the latest Legacy Railsounds. Those ES44's looked and sounded great.

Even today, the typical "street-price" for a non-diecast Lionel Legacy diesel sits in the mid-$400's to the low-$500's. And you can easily save another 10-15% in MTH-land. Seems Sunset / 3rd Rail is really positioning themselves as the model train equivalent of the fashion world's couture line of products. Nice products, but we pay through the nose for them. Only so many times I can consider doing that. I guess by announcing now for a 2020 delivery helps the medicine go down a bit easier. But don't forget to save some pennies for the shipping costs too. ;)

David
Well, I agree with you to the extent that (a) there's no "street price" for new 3rd Rail engines that I have ever found - the list price is what they cost - and (b) on the face of it, $700 for a single and single-engine (but horizontal drive) O scale diesel seems steep.

BTW, the street price for the die-cast ES44s was significantly below the $849 or so I recall they were cataloged for. However, even at catalog/list price they were an absolute BARGAIN because of the build quality and operating feature sets they have (which have not been replicated in later products).

But comparing those or later plastic-bodied diesels from Lionel - or MTH - with 3rd Rail offerings is not comparing like with like. Even if, like me, you are not really concerned with installing Kadees or fixed pilots, scale accurate detail on 3rd Rail engines is much finer than the major importers' products; and Scott Mann is making certain models or in liveries that other manufacturers don't. His production runs are small even allowing for the fact that he also produces 2-rail versions.

I can well understand that his prices reflect a rather specialized offering, which I'd guess costs a considerable amount more per unit to make than than Lionel or MTH incur. That is not positioning 3rd Rail as a kind of exclusive perfume brand; it's just a particular niche in a small market.

As time goes on one main difference between 3rd Rail diesels and those from Lionel becomes more obvious as it's in the operating feature set, i.e. sound, smoke and lighting. The play value of Legacy models is higher IF they work out of the box. Some of us are no longer content with taking a chance on that. :mad:

I am not in the market for GP7s or indeed any more diesels at the moment but that's not because of 3rd Rail's prices. Every 3rd Rail model I have was frankly well worth the inevitable wait and paying the cost. :thumbsup:

Oh, I left out one thing that probably should have come at or near the top line: customer service/standing behind the product he sells. No one tops Scott in that department.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Guys, I don't doubt that Sunset has its faithful followers. I've only dabbled in their offerings. I tried Sunset's locomotives, a pair of Canadian Pacific E8's, a couple of years ago... primarily because they catalog'd them in one of the CP's EARLY paint schemes. Yet when delivery time came around, the paint scheme was switched to the more common CP offering. :mad: Scott offered to take my purchases back, but I decided to keep them anyway... and just let bygones be bygones. But that left a level of hesitancy in my mind nonetheless... namely, why pay premium prices when there's that possibility potentially looming?

I also own two passenger sets: an El Capitan set, and a GN Empire Builder set... both very exquisite -- but that's pretty much quenched my curiosity of what life is like in the upper tier of deep pocket buyers. I was tempted to spring for Sunset's NP GCL passenger set offering due this year, but I already own a complete MTH offering that was produced several years ago. So practicality won out over splurging for the new NP set. :eek:

Also keep in mind, MTH offers some excellent "3-rail scale" options with their locomotives. Take a look at Rich Battista's latest Black Diamond Rwy video that features life in the MTH 3-rail scale camp with fixed pilot and Kadee coupler installations. I'm intrigued by these offerings and 2019 may be the year I check out one of those product offerings that come with no significant premium upcharge -- and in some cases, identical pricing -- when compared to the hi-rail wheels version of the same locomotive. It's always nice to have options in the market, so we can match up some great product offerings with what we're willing to spend. :)

David

·
Registered
779 Posts
anyone here look at the track requirements on this engine? is it me or does the minimum 054 curve and the minimum 072 switch contradict each other?
I asked scott about this he directed me to ross as I use the regular 100-101 11 degree switches which steve ross said the 11 degree switch has a gentler curve than the 072! am on the fence on reserving one of the gp's as hate to be stuck with an oval only runner!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
anyone here look at the track requirements on this engine? is it me or does the minimum 054 curve and the minimum 072 switch contradict each other?
I asked scott about this he directed me to ross as I use the regular 100-101 11 degree switches which steve ross said the 11 degree switch has a gentler curve than the 072! am on the fence on reserving one of the gp's as hate to be stuck with an oval only runner!
Your right, had to look at the reservation page again and did a double take. What the heck does that mean

·
Registered
779 Posts
Your right, had to look at the reservation page again and did a double take. What the heck does that mean
I emailed Scott M. questioning this will post what his response is when he responds.

mind boggling it will require minimum 054 curve radius track but not an 054 switch!

·
Registered
779 Posts
wow Scott M. is quick! his reply stated they use old lionel tubular track and 072 switches if engines traverse it without derailing he feels comfortable they will work with other track manufactures products too. they have one 90 degree 054 curve to see if engines will be okay with this tight curved track.

he also said they never use a 054 switch as most engines tend to pick the frog and guides as well as some modelers create a opposite curve and none of there engines are designed to work on a 054 switches.

hope this information helps others thinking of reserving one of these gp's

·
Registered
779 Posts
well GRJ seeing at the get go I opted for the standard ross switches that are 11 degree for diverging route along with 072-064 curves with a lower level of 054 curves I am among those that can have the bigger radius trackage others are more restricted for space.

its ironic lionel back in the day had basically fixed pilots and they ran on 0-27 tracks kind of makes the need for larger curves a mute point when one really thinks on that!

just saying is all no malice intended or implied with this post.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts