Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Ok, some of these are cool and very useful, like the stripped screw, whereas others make no sense. Some of these 'hacks' are in fact questionable as well. I would not recommend sticking metal or anything for that matter in an electrical outlet.

I can smell the chemical reaction through my screen. I hope they are doing this in a well-ventilated area because this stuff burns one's eyes and nostrils like crazy.

A few of these could be applicable to model railroading and for that reason, thanks for sharing.

· Registered
Ohio Central Systems
2,254 Posts
The spray accelerators use something called "Amines" which are derivatives of Ammonia. Both Baking Soda and Ammonia are alkaline, meaning they are highly reactive to acids.

Based on this, I would assume that Lye would also work, but I wouldn't test it without proper precautions. The fumes from these types of chemical reactions can be dangerous.

· Hobo for Life
7,767 Posts
Never saw it before. I can see using it for some applications. Pretty cool. As for the electeical outlet, yea it would have been easier to change the end. But who knows what country this was filmed in. Someplaces may not be able to get stuff as easy as some of us.

· Registered
346 Posts
I have repaired cracked shells (and filled some holes) with CA and baking soda, which I learned about in another forum. It essentially turns it into plastic and is paintable. Make sure to mask around it and also to form the baking soda into shape as much as possible before adding the CA, though. Filing it down can be a chore.

· Railroad Tycoon
26,212 Posts
I can see use for some of that. I never saw that before.
The T-man might have a need for that too. The way he molds stuff up. (y)

Though with todays prices glue is not that cheap, that guy must buy by the case.

Looks like he is cutting lines of cocaine in the one. lol

• Haha
Reactions: sjm9911

· Registered
5,598 Posts
Never saw any such thing. Thanks for showing it. There's a few procedures I'll keep in the back of my mind.

I agree with Big Ed...those were som straight "lines" he was cutting there! LOL

· Premium Member
471 Posts
I'll guess most everyone has seen one of these vids, but this one has a lot that could be applicable to model railroading.
Actually, this video (or one like it I saw earlier) solved a minor mystery for me: in several of his excellent series of videos, Luke Towan uses a sprinkle of baking soda on the CA that secures items he glued together, and it always puzzled me why he did so. Now I know . . . :)(y)

· Premium Member
471 Posts
Seeing the baking soda is porous. I wonder if plaster would work?
Mmm, I think both reactions are chemical in nature (I think the plaster of paris setting up is just rehydrating baked gypsum, if memory serves), so I suspect that might not work. OTOH, one video I saw earlier successfully used cigarette ash as the "filler", so it might do just fine. Worth a try, I guess, especially if you've run out of old baking soda from your fridge! ;)

· Premium Member
471 Posts
Cigarette ash is alkaline, so I suspect it's similar to baking soda in that regard.
Mmm, fair point, and I suppose it's also entirely possible that it's not really a chemical process at all, and the baking soda, cigarette ash or plaster are or would only be mechanically bonding to the CA, something like the pebble aggregate in a concrete mix. Any chemists amongst us?

· Railroad Tycoon
26,212 Posts
Cigarette ash is alkaline, so I suspect it's similar to baking soda in that regard.
Also, Cigarette ash, Harmful?
The particulate phase includes nicotine, “tar” (itself composed of many chemicals), benzene and benzo(a)pyrene.
The gas phase includes carbon monoxide, ammonia, dimethylnitrosamine, formaldehyde, hydrogen cyanide and acrolein.

I guess if you make things for resell you would have to add a disclaimer? :)

· Registered
1,377 Posts
Never saw it before. I can see using it for some applications. Pretty cool. As for the electeical outlet, yea it would have been easier to change the end.
I thought the same thing: easier to change the plug. And…aren’t prongs of electrical plugs supposed to be metal to… you know… conduct electricity and provide grounding?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts