Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I thought I saw somewhere that Kato had a smaller radius track that would fit??
14-9/16" is the smallest I believe. The better question though is what you plan to run on that small of a curve? 15" radius is about the tightest that most locos will take, at least for a full turn. Maybe a small switcher?? Id stick to N if you want to run anything of normal size.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
14-9/16" is the smallest I believe. The better question though is what you plan to run on that small of a curve? 15" radius is about the tightest that most locos will take, at least for a full turn. Maybe a small switcher?? Id stick to N if you want to run anything of normal size.
Looks like N it is. Best part it will force me to keep my credenza a lot cleaner than it been!! A visit to Lombard Hobbies in the AM. Thank You!!

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
Looks like N it is. Best part it will force me to keep my credenza a lot cleaner than it been!! A visit to Lombard Hobbies in the AM. Thank You!!
N will look better in that small space and it will be easier to add options tunnel, grade, etc. A gent was running N on half his small vendor table. a little grade on a mountain pass, nice.

And you already have the big boy's trains ;)

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you have an O gauge layout now you could add On30. That could added to your other layout later.

Pete
Pete and others... I must have the only midwest home with no basement. One of the reasons I succumbed and finally joined a club. Retirement is a couple years away and where we hope to end up, no basements there either.

The N gauge could offer a little diversion...

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have some American Flyer S gauge which may get a loop on my O gauge layout - dunno yet. There's some some old Standard Gauge which I also like, plus some G scale kicking around. Tried N scale years ago - it's all gone now, drove me nuts. I'm also part of a local club that's mostly HO and N - I may yet convert them to the O dark side...
FW

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went to a local hobby shop that specializes in HO & N. Three guys behind the counter, all head down, two guys in the back sorting through inventory and a 17 year old young man answering all the phone calls. Walked around the store aimlessly for about 15 minutes, tried to get someone's attention without yelling or giving them whack, nothing... Went home...

I'll probably go back next weekend as they have a Kato set on sale that looks like it will fill my needs for now...

·
Registered
712 Posts
I went to a local hobby shop that specializes in HO & N. Three guys behind the counter, all head down, two guys in the back sorting through inventory and a 17 year old young man answering all the phone calls. Walked around the store aimlessly for about 15 minutes, tried to get someone's attention without yelling or giving them whack, nothing... Went home...

I'll probably go back next weekend as they have a Kato set on sale that looks like it will fill my needs for now...
That's one reason I prefer to buy on-line. The other is that a visit to a local hobby shop the other day indicated just how much people don't care about their health or anyones else for that matter. Not a single person behind any of the counters was wearing a mask. For that matter, other than myself, no one else had a mask on. Only as I was leaving the store did I see a father and young son walking in masked up.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.