Model Train Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
I went to a local hobby shop that specializes in HO & N. Three guys behind the counter, all head down, two guys in the back sorting through inventory and a 17 year old young man answering all the phone calls. Walked around the store aimlessly for about 15 minutes, tried to get someone's attention without yelling or giving them whack, nothing... Went home...
Ah, yes. The "invisible man" routine. This past summer I took my oldest to the east coast for some college tours. Of course, I took the opportunity to visit a bunch of the train stores I'm always reading about on the forums. What a total disappointment. I received the invisible man treatment almost everywhere I went. Would it kill you to look up from your magazine and say "hello"? Ridiculous. But now I know I'm not missing anything! I'm 100% internet.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I don't know, canned beans look pretty good. :p
That's a great looking set. 3rd Rail is doing a second run of their E5's. I hope they get made.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Added the Kato light kit to the cars, nice improvement. And to think with my eyes getting worse I'm fooling with smaller trains!! :ROFLMAO:

·
Railroad Tycoon
25,231 Posts
View attachment 575124 View attachment 575125

Looks like I need to find some blocks to hold the TV up!! :ROFLMAO:

And I ordered the light kit for the passenger cars from Amazon. Should be here tomorrow!
Mount the TV on the wall?
You need some kind of guard rail in the front, that is a long drop. :)
I saw one that was a netting, if it fell it would land in the net.
I was thinking of trying it on my O table somehow.

Reactions: Madman

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Mount the TV on the wall? - My walls are covered with Corvette, Cubs baseball and Disney animation artwork. The reason the TV is on the table!!

You need some kind of guard rail in the front, that is a long drop. :)
I saw one that was a netting, if it fell it would land in the net. - It's my home office and I don't get much company in here, it should be fine!!

I was thinking of trying it on my O table somehow. - As pricey as our hobby is getting any safety precaution looks like a great idea!!

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
Added the Kato light kit to the cars, nice improvement. And to think with my eyes getting worse I'm fooling with smaller trains!! :ROFLMAO:
I worked on an HO locomotive today and they get smaller every time I have to work on one. I wouldn't be very good with N scale.

I was installing MU hoses on the front end of a locomotive and could barely see the mounting holes.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I worked on an HO locomotive today and they get smaller every time I have to work on one. I wouldn't be very good with N scale.

I was installing MU hoses on the front end of a locomotive and could barely see the mounting holes.
I use +3.0 reading glasses to work on my small electronics and trains (Foster Grant ~$20). I use them like the magnifier headsets but they are way more convenient sitting in a pencil cup on my desk.

I'm in the middle of cataract surgery. One eye is done. The implant (lens) corrected my lifelong extreme nearsightedness. I couldn't see the big "E"" at the top of the eye chart. With the implant ... 20-20 distance vision. But I now need +1.5 reading glasses for the PC, cell phone, etc. as the implant is a fixed power. I can't focus up close.

I just turned up the overhead light in my office and looked at a scale. At 10", I can easily read lettering 1mm high on the scale with the +3.0 reading glasses.

Cataracts not only reduce vision, they also reduce the amount of light getting to the retina. A good spot lamp on the desk/workbench helps a lot with that.

BTW: I was in the surgery center for 1 hr., 15 mins. It's a quick and painless process. Modern medicine.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Until I was forty years old, I could read the small print and see long distance without an issue. I always had 20/20 eyesight. And just like that, in my fortieth year, I started needing reading glasses. At first 1:25 would work. By the time I hit Fifty, glasses were required to see near and far. I was at the bifocal age. In my mid sixties, I had the cataract surgery done. One eye at a time. Since the two operations were a few weeks apart, I had to take one lens out of my glasses. Surprising how many people noticed.....:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Until I was forty years old, I could read the small print and see long distance without an issue. I always had 20/20 eyesight. And just like that, in my fortieth year, I started needing reading glasses. At first 1:25 would work. By the time I hit Fifty, glasses were required to see near and far. I was at the bifocal age. In my mid sixties, I had the cataract surgery done. One eye at a time. Since the two operations were a few weeks apart, I had to take one lens out of my glasses. Surprising how many people noticed.....:ROFLMAO:
Dealing with that now. One pair of reading glasses with a lens covered in tape over the eye waiting for surgery. It's too nearsighted to see the PC screen and I can't wear my contact in that eye before surgery. On the road, one lens popped out on the distance glasses over the bionic eye. In a store I just wing it with both eyes, no glasses. I work from home so no one has yet seen the glasses debacle.

I keep thinking of Lee Majors' Six Million Dollar Man series. In a week, I'll be the Six Thousand Dollar Guy.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Ok, back to Jeff. I was thinking wall mount as well. What can you see behind the TV anyway? With the TV off the credenza, you could add to your N scale layout. Build yourself a little Vanderbilt empire ...

For a similar "coffee table" layout, first thing I did was laydown some dark green felt. ~$10 per yard at 72" wide.

Transport hub Motor vehicle Mode of transport Urban design Thoroughfare

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Ok, back to Jeff. I was thinking wall mount as well. What can you see behind the TV anyway? With the TV off the credenza, you could add to your N scale layout. Build yourself a little Vanderbilt empire ...
I appreciate the input!! You've seen the t-shirts, "Still Plays With Cars" & "Still Plays With Trains", well for me the Cars one will always come first! The N Scale is purely a distraction where space allowed. The rest of the wall coverings are pretty much staying put! That little N scale set fits my needs perfectly!! (For now) ;)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts