Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It was easier than I thought.

This is a 1:50 Corgi city bus that I shortened the wheelbase on and converted to run on K-line Superstreets or WBB EZ-Street roadtrack.

May of you will recognize it: as a 'Street vehicle, it was on the cover of my second book on 'Streets and in many photos I posted here over the past six years. It had about 1,500 running hours on the 'Streets roads on my layout . It was a favorite runner I wantedto convert it to wire-following operation.

The bus runs perfectly but cannot make it around my downtown loop because it cannot go around the sharp turn-around loop at either end on Main street, where the wire-guiding road curves around 360 degrees and comes back in the other direction as the other lane of Main Street. The bus can actually turn sharply enough to track through those shape curves (I worked on the front steering and it can operate to a 45 deg angle of steering turn). The problem is that, even with the shortened wheelbase, it is by far the longest wheelbase I have run to date by a good bit. I did not realize it, but as a result of that longer wheelbase, the inside wheel of the rear axle runs off the inside of the sharp curves on the loops, where the road has no widening like the long section of Main you see here - the road is only the 3.5 inch width of the AutomotionFX road section and needs to be about 4 inches wide. I'll have to widen it about two inches (in anticipation of even longer wheelbases, and then it can make it around. In the meantime, its doing at least half of Main St in this video. It is running at only 3 volts here. I will probably speed it up by installing two 18500 Li-Ion batteries in parallel to run it at 3.7 V.

But now, today's work is done.

Martini time!!!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Just makes one think of what real City bus drivers go thru on the job every day. As far as "Martini Time" is concerned gettin bad when Toy Trains drives one to drinkin !!! :rolleyes::rolleyes: Good work on the wired road video by the way.

LATER

·
Registered
8,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty impressive, I was wondering if it would make those dogbones at the end.
Well, it will as soon as I made the dogbone bigger-wider. That's not a really fun job but I am telling myself I have to do it: I'll never get longer trucks to run unless the roads can handle their long wheelbases.

As far as "Martini Time" is concerned gettin bad when Toy Trains drives one to drinkin !!!
Actually, no one has to drive me to drink. I go very voluntarily!! :p:p:p

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Could the magnet be moved behind the front wheels (with associated change to the levers)? Then the front of the bus would overshoot the turn - just like a real bus on tight city corners.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Are you going to have a country road with the wire guided cars?
A wired country road would be intriguing. Just to be able to see farm equipment going to and fro on the road as well as pickup trucks & larger farm trucks. May be even a wired farm field with motorized farm equipment.

·
Registered
8,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could the magnet be moved behind the front wheels (with associated change to the levers)? Then the front of the bus would overshoot the turn - just like a real bus on tight city corners.
Well, yes but no. You are correct about the geometry, but the shortened tiller arm would reduce the turning torque, and a heavier vehicle requires more turning torque to steer the front wheels well. The arms is about as short as I can make it and have it work well.

I've run into a host of other problems. More about his on Friday, I hope.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts