Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Survey for you guys… place these in order from the best to the worst (everything included… overall shape, details, reliability…) and try to sell me something !! I’m looking for an EMD SD40 or 40-2 (prefered) or a SD45 or SD90… well, anything CN or CP have bought even if it's not CN or CP marked... I'll decorate them !

Athearn
Atlas
Bachmann
Kato

·
Yard Master & Research
10,643 Posts
Go for the motor.

Small Caboose all I can tell you is that if you saw the motors you could immediately tell which brand was better. I would guess Kato because I think they are more expensive but what do I know about HO. Not much, but I know a good motor when I see it:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
From what I have used (as I have about 4 EMD SD40s all in different brand)

Athearn RTR or DC (converted to DCC). No major issues. DCC converts require major lighting upgrades, which I am still learning how to do.

Atlas -No issues.

Bachmann- Stay away from the DCC ready ones unless you know how to get rid of the nasty engine noise. (They also are not that well detailed.)

Kato-I have to agree with T-Man on this. Their price point scares me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok... 2 answers... let's keep them comming... don't be shy !

Kato are very tempting but me too, the price is kinda scary issue.

Not sure that I want to go DCC just yet. I'm new at all this but have difficulties to see what's all the fuzz around the DCC things... I mean, trains were fun to have 30 years ago, what could have change with the Digital !!?! They are still fun but cost a lot more !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts