Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek:Oh boy, my real estate just expanded --- 16x8 with center cutout (see pic):cool:

:Dquestion time:
1. what turnouts are best for loco's like ac4400, c44-9w, sd60, and such?
2. how do I set the yard up so it is level (tracks level w/ground)?

more questions to come - you will all be a part of this build:thumbsup:

any suggestions are greatly welcome.

I want to replicate (in smaller detail of course), get ready, Denver to Grand Junction modern era with an excursion train.

including Moffat tunnel and Glenwood canyon. Both engineering marvels. wish me luck and pics are coming!!!!!!:thumbsup:

pic 1 - new design
pic 2 - motive power
pic 3 - sitting next to the bike path in Boulder - lot's o' coal
pic 4 - my GP60M

Attachments

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
:Dquestion time:
1. what turnouts are best for loco's like ac4400, c44-9w, sd60, and such?
2. how do I set the yard up so it is level (tracks level w/ground)?
1. For locos of that size, I wouldn't go below a #6 on anything that the loco will be using.
2. What are you using for roadbed? If it's cork, you can buy cork sheets of the proper thickness and build your yard on that. You could do the same with Homasote. If it were me, however, I would actually want the yard at a slightly lower level, say 1/8 inch lower. This will prevent cars from accidentally rolling out onto the mainline.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Always try to catce 'em on the first bounce, but I'm not as quick as I used to be :(
Seriously, it's only happened once, but my heart hit my Reeboks and I almost had a spontaneous BM. The shell popped right off my BRAND NEW Bachmann loco :eek:.....I poured a stiff one before I had the nerve to put it back on the track to see if it still ran :D.....only needed one stiff one 'cause all was okie dokie.....that was over a month ago and I don't want any repeats!
Bob

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
thanks flyboy, should i use #6 turnouts on the whole layout?
No, you don't need to use #6 for all turnouts. Just those coming on and off the main, or leading to the engine maintenance shops. For the yard, #4's will be fine. Big 6 axle loco's don't like #4's too well, so just use a #6 anywhere the road engines will be traveling.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And........it begins

Hey all, just set up a small track to test with (really just wanted to run a train).

the track is by no means perfect, but fun.

ideas:
1. two lower tracks and one main going up and over a pass with a passing lane:D
2. yard in the video area.:thumbsup:

this will all be freelanced (i find myself scratching my chin a ton), but that is how my last one was done and it's pretty cool:cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl5klqtf3pE

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I have a bunch of three axled Dash 8 and 9 which is what you have and they go through the Bachmann snap switches with ease so i would say a #4 would be okay to use as your minimum that they will go through as they look rather akward going through the snap switches.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
risers will be glued today

looking better - 3 lines - 2 connected with #6 t.o. and 2 connected with #4 t.o. (makes a total of 3 lines)
still need to add yard, industry, freight, and passenger station turnouts. probably 3-4 more
cardboard for terrain

then it's detail time!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Looking real good Swig. That is exactly how I'm going to build my next layout. The WS risers = prefect grades. The white little balls everywhere, foam = cheap, which means more money for plaster cloth :thumbsup:
Can't wait to see some footage of trains on the new section :D

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update 5.26.11

Added mache paper towels with acrylic paint added to mix. worked great for the base. I will be going to Moab, Utah next week and grab some desert sand:thumbsup:

There is still a ton of work to do-------and yes------I will have a cover for the middle when done---------at some point----------like never.:laugh:

I use foam, foam, and more foam with some LOW temp glue to hold it together.
The canned foam holds stuff together as well.:eek:

short vid explaining things - ask if you have a question please:thumbsup:

hope everyone likes:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QVOxLkqSdg

Attachments

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Swig,
Lookin' really good! It's easy to tell you're having a great time creating this layout. :appl::appl:
I'm getting real itchy to add onto my layout but it will have to wait until late Fall 'cause I'm just too busy during the summer months to do it justice.
Bob

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.