Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I placed a sizable order from Modellbahnshopp-Lippe this morning for the new Roco Re 420 locomotive.

This locomotive was in production from 1964 until 1985 and is still the most widely used locomotive in Swiss inventory. It is used for both passenger service and freight.

The Roco model is highly detailed with etched and separately applied parts. It comes with the Plux22 sound decoder but I won't know what brand until it arrives. I suspect Zimo as these are popular with Roco.

This locomotive will be pulling my Swiss consist that I bought last year that DB has been pulling under agreement with SBB in cross border operations.

DB will receive a new Piko five unit train including a restaurant car with pan included for powering the kitchen.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You sure have some interesting rolling stock, nice to see something different.
Like that restaurant car with the pan, looks so cool.
With just one pan would that car have to be turned at the end of a trip?

Magic
I don't think it would be turned. The pan(s) operates in either direction.

There is a passage at the kitchen end that allows you to walk around the kitchen and exit the rear of the coach.

My Swiss SBB restaurant coach has the pad on the roof for installation of the pantograph, but the Swiss removed the pans from all restaurant cars that were destined for cross border operation because the pans are narrower than their German counterparts and the pans would get hung on the cat wire.

The cat wire in Germany is hung slightly differently with a wider sweep between masts to evenly wear the graphite strip on the top of the pan arm.

You may or may not have known this, but cat wire is not hung in a straight line right down a row of masts. It is alternated left and right the width of the pan arm. Swiss pans are narrower so it would fall off of the German cat wire.

Why the Germans or Swiss didn't secure the pan in the down position and lock it so it couldn't be raised is beyond me. Seems an awful lot of work to remove an entire assembly from the roof of the coach.

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
Very cool stuff.
The colors are amazing!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Neat way to power the Restaurant! I wonder if they then powered an MG set to actual supply uninterrupted power? Little glitch in the pant and your oven timer resets!

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know. That's a good question I will have to find an answer for.

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
Maybe they used a keep-alive capacitor! :cheeky4: :laugh:

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You may not be far off. In the launch facility of Minuteman II, we had eight 36vdc storage batteries that would keep the LF in SA for up to three days after the diesel generator ran out of fuel.

It is possible the cat voltage is used to charge a set of batteries to power the kitchen when stopped or otherwise can't get cat voltage

·
Registered
827 Posts
First time I can recall seeing "car power" taken directly from overhead catenary. I wonder what the catenary voltage is?

Interesting that they don't have locomotive-supplied "head end power" for such trains.

I wonder what happens if the train has a "drop pantograph order" enroute?

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First time I can recall seeing "car power" taken directly from overhead catenary. I wonder what the catenary voltage is?

Interesting that they don't have locomotive-supplied "head end power" for such trains.

I wonder what happens if the train has a "drop pantograph order" enroute?
Voltage in Germany is 15K VAC. Also in Austria and Switzerland.

The train stops if the pans are lowered.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is a photo showing the comparison in width of the Swiss pan vs. the German pan. You can see the Swiss pan is quite a bit narrower than its German counterpart.

Catenary must be hung very precisely to keep from having accidents with these narrow pans.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts