Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I probably went overboard buying remote switches (or is that an impossibility?) when I realized why they were so cheap--almost none of them came with controllers. The switches I have are mostly Lionel 1122's and I've determined the intended switch is probably called the 1122-100. I've had a hard time finding these, so I'm wondering if other controllers are compatible with these switches. O22c controllers and the controllers designed for the 5121/5122 series of switches seem more plentiful.

I guess my basic question is are the controllers for Lionel switches interchangeable or do you have to be careful about mixing O27 with O31 and different generations thereof?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I figured. Looking at the Olsen's repair manuals, none of the controllers appear to be much different from each other where it counts.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
If you use a 022 controller with an 1122 switch, the lights in the controller will not work properly. I think the lights stay on all the time. You can just remove the bulbs. Lionel made some single controllers for 1122 switches that look like the 022 controllers except they have no bulbs and no bulb sockets.
BB

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I agree the 1122 controller takes up space, but for a 5 year old to throw the lever, hear the toggle and see the light change is all part of the Lionel experience.

I have run out of room on my control board. To solve the space problem, I was able to double up on the controllers. I have a "figure 8" inside of an oval. Two sets of two switches must be thrown at the same time, so I put them on the same controller.

Sometimes, I even amaze myself.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
The old style 1121 controllers have a single bulb in them that is run from track voltage, and there are movable shields that are moved by the control levers to shield or unshield the colored lenses from the bulb. So the light on the controller depends on how the control handle was moved and not where the switch is. Bob Nelson has a really good circuit to control 1122 and 1121 switches with a controller that has lights that follow the switch (unless you turn the switch lantern manually).
BB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts