Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1 engin a mth premier genesis that the pickup rollers are 10 1/2 inches apart and in my yard i have 2 022 switches back to back that when it goes over that part of the yard on the switch there is a spot where it hits the dead spot and stops. i cant turn around the pickups because they sit in a well on the trucks. and cant move the switch or i loose a siding.Any ideas thanks in advance

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Make sure that they both work.
Yes they both work its just when they get to the frog on 022 there is a spot where there is no center rail it just so happens that where the rollers are on the engine it lines up over the two dead spots on the 2 switches.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,643 Posts
I am not sure how those rollers are made. Lionel has some that are long. Perhaps you could change one to a different length or buy one and cut it down to change the distance. The only obvious alternative is to go with a third pickup in another car and have a wire link up,

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Use the metal Marx switches. They have essentially a continuous center rail.

You could modify the 022 switches in either one of the following ways:

1. Take a thin sheet of copper and glue it to the plastic 3rd rail near the frog, and then solder a wire between the copper sheet and the 3rd rail. This would extend the 3rd rail near the frog by about 1/2 and inch.

2. Take your Dremel tool and remove the plastic near the end of the 3rd rail. Take a piece of copper wire and make an extension for the 3rd rail. There is plenty of room to do this without creating a short to the outer rails.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Use the metal Marx switches. They have essentially a continuous center rail.

You could modify the 022 switches in either one of the following ways:

1. Take a thin sheet of copper and glue it to the plastic 3rd rail near the frog, and then solder a wire between the copper sheet and the 3rd rail. This would extend the 3rd rail near the frog by about 1/2 and inch.

2. Take your Dremel tool and remove the plastic near the end of the 3rd rail. Take a piece of copper wire and make an extension for the 3rd rail. There is plenty of room to do this without creating a short to the outer rails.
I like your idea what do you think if i take 1 022 out and put a 072 in would that change the distance

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok all fixed i just cut a small 1 inch piece of 031 curve track and put it inbetween the 2 switches now all good

1 - 10 of 10 Posts