Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any of you guys help me with a shorting problem. When I switch this to a siding it shorts out the whole layout. I have the insulators just like my other switches (red boxes). What do I need to check?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
With or without the track insulators the switch shouldn't short as it supports both the outer rail and center rail power feeds to keep the train moving through the switch. Check the mechanism / swivel rail. Is it touching something it shouldn't? Has any insulation on the underside deteriorated?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
As Mike said, seems it would have to be the swivel rail or slide bar to it, is hitting the center rail and shorting out. This is happening when you throw the switch, not when a train goes thru, correct?

·
Yard Master & Research
10,637 Posts
I had to dig around and found a 011 switch this is the remote switch with the non derailing feature. Looking at the isolated rails the plastic pins need to be at the outer most rails on each side. It is easy to tell because these rails have that colorfull insulator , the same as the center rail.
You have a 012 switch manual control that requires no insulation pins. The bottom comes off and is held with tabs. The throw lever has to be insulated somehow. The frog is probably powered with a wire connection.
There isn't too much out there on these switches and I took mine apart but never got around to creating a post.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turned out to be the bulb socket. While I was in there I replaced the 80 year old wire and lubed the gears. Good for another 80 years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts