Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a bunch of Atlas and Pola O gauge freight cars and I want to convert them to my Lionel set.

Do I need to replace the trucks entirely? or can I replace the couplers?

It looks on one set, I can replace couplers, and another I'd have to replace the trucks.

Before I waste money, I wanted to check here to see exactly what I need.

I see several 2 rail conversions on the internet but I'm not sure what to buy.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You'll likely need new trucks to make them run on 3-rail track & switches.
The trucks fit on my 3 rail tracks and roll nicely. Is there a snag I should be aware of though?

I'm looking for the cheapest way to convert them. I don't need fancy trucks or anything. If I can get away with swapping couplers on some of these, that would be great.

·
Admin
43,791 Posts
Roll them through some switches. ;) It's very rare that 2-rail wheels will fare well on most track types. They work OK on Atlas 3-rail track, but derail on the switches. It's not a question of "rolling OK" on a plain piece of track, it's reliable running when you have a string of cars and you're going round curves and through switches.

You might be able to find 3-rail wheel sets for less than trucks, but since you have to deal with the couplers anyway, I think I still recommend new trucks.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The Atlas car in the picture has three rail trucks. I run the same trucks and couplers with my Lionel and MTH cars without issue. I just cut off the vertical post that's on the coupler. I use Gargraves track with Ross turnouts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts