Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant find who gave me info o a switcher i was asking info. On were the hobby shop has wasnt sure if it was a 342 or 343 price asking 250. Or 280. Not sure wel its a 343 reverse unit in tender and has knuckle couplers. Doesn't say ac or dc.

Al

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
I cant find who gave me info o a switcher i was asking info. On were the hobby shop has wasnt sure if it was a 342 or 343 price asking 250. Or 280. Not sure wel its a 343 reverse unit in tender and has knuckle couplers. Doesn't say ac or dc.

Al
343 with the e-unit in tender is a good one to have, not sure about the price..Offer him $200...

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
All 343 engines have universal motors so no concern there. Price varies a lot with condition. $200 is a fair offer unless this is in collectable condition.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,024 Posts
343 with the e-unit in tender is a good one to have, not sure about the price..Offer him $200...
Hey King of S..........is this S scale diesel locomotive worth what they are asking here?

Unless they made other green loco's this is the one I have.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
The yellow/green Baldwin switchers were made in different years with different numbers. Most common would be the 355. Then the 21801 and the 21808. A 21801-1 dummy was made to go with the 21801. Painted green versions are always worth more that unpainted green plastic versions. The unpainted green 21801 shown would grade as an E-, so condition is pretty good. Operation is an unknown and these engines and their reverse units were problematic. I would estimate value at $125, $150 if the screwholes above the couplers are not cracked.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,024 Posts
The yellow/green Baldwin switchers were made in different years with different numbers. Most common would be the 355. Then the 21801 and the 21808. A 21801-1 dummy was made to go with the 21801. Painted green versions are always worth more that unpainted green plastic versions. The unpainted green 21801 shown would grade as an E-, so condition is pretty good. Operation is an unknown and these engines and their reverse units were problematic. I would estimate value at $125, $150 if the screwholes above the couplers are not cracked.
Thanks, I will have to make the long journey downstairs to see what I have.
I didn't think it was worth that much, mine has a motor.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
The value of these is almost completely in the condition since it is not rare. A VG condition would be more like $75.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,024 Posts
Ahhh, you just popped my bubble. The other price is better. :)
I got it for free, it was a local town dump save.
My Bro in Law ran the payloader and when folks came in to dump stuff he would wait till they went and pick through the pile before he mowed it over with the machine.
He had to rent a storage unit for all the stuff he found.
A lot was old but like in new shape. All kinds of things, people just tossed.
The trains he picked out and gave them to me.
It is in good shape.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
I would say $75 bucks is a good price. I have 3 of them, along with the cars to complete the set. Dad bought me this set in 1957....

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
The 21801 is worth about 15% more than the 355. If either is painted green then double the price. A shell without a crack in either screwhole adds 20% to the value.
The big factor in the value decline of the Baldwins is only collectors want them and collectors want condition 8 or better. Many operators are buying the newly released S gauge Baldwins from Lionel.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went to talk about the switcher lowest he will go is 225.00 i will hold off. I saw three of them on ebay between 165. To 180. . no hurry .

Al

·
Registered
183 Posts
I also have a Baldwin 355 (from 1957). My first AF and so I'd never part with it. I did put a can motor and reverse unit in it. Best thing I ever did to it.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Al, just be careful what you bid on. I only see one 343 that is the Reverse in Tender model and that one definitely is not running since the 5th wire is not connected to the plug.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Year i wil going to hold off for a little bet have some projects coming up spent alot last month or so . i will wait. Thanks again

Al

1 - 16 of 16 Posts