Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple pairs of switches i keep having trouble on one side of track were there r two switches some trains ok but most of the time after going around 3 or 4 times they will derail i cleaned track and other stuff . i will show picks how there laid out . any suggestions would be grate . thanks Al

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I see two possible problems that could contribute to derailing. First the tracks connecting to the straight and diverging legs on the frog end of the turnouts are not connected straight. There is a definite kink or misalignment at the track joints.
Second, I have found it best to never screw down the turnouts when using rubber roadbed. Doing that forces a vertical misalignment of the track where it meets the turnout. The track ties plus the rubber thickness under the ties is thicker than the plastic turnout base.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Al, to add to what Tom said, when I used the rubber road bed I too made the mistake of screwing down the switch. Same problem you had. Track alignment, both vertical and track end to switch base will be an issue as Tom said. I do see a slight track joint to switch base alignment problem too. Luckily I had only laid one switch and tested it and quickly realized my height mistake even though my track was aligned correctly to the switch base. I removed the switch screws, problem solved. I shimmed the switch bases with 6" wide thin balsa wood for a solid base to meet the track height. When I built my current layout, I got rid of the rubber bed and 10 years later, no switch problems.

Kenny

1 - 4 of 4 Posts