Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone make it out to the Syracuse, NY show today?

Planning on heading over in AM. Was a great time last year at the State Fairgrounds!
~Kingred

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Anyone make it out to the Syracuse, NY show today?

Planning on heading over in AM. Was a great time last year at the State Fairgrounds!
~Kingred
Yep, I went looking for flyer stuff. I heard a comment about the general show... "A lot of over-priced junk". This years show was disappointing, and I probably won't go back next year. The 2 items I bought wasn't priced too bad, but when I got the stuff home,under closer examination, I noticed 3 of the 5 car Lionel set were broken, and will need repairs. I also bought a transformer that the seller told me was serviced and worked 100%. Guess what?? That too will have to be taken to my local hobby shop for repairs..I have a standing rule that I will not purchase any electrical item at train shows but I broke that one rule, and will now be paying for it.Yep, stupid me, but that show and some of it's sellers won't get another penny from me....

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I went looking for HO and found several deals. I purchased a few Athearn Blue Box locomotives for $20, both run just need a cleaning. An old Mantua GP 20 (not the PT drive) that runs surprisingy well for my kids,$5. Bachman trolly NOS for $5 and another NOS locomtice from the early 70 for $5 (looks to be a rebranded AMH but non of us recognized the brand) My son bought multiple Blue Box kits for between $5 and $8 dollars each. I bought an Athearn rotary plow that had been motorized for $20. On top of that several other odds and ends. I was mainly looking at older Athearn, Mantua and Riverossi.

I tend to not mind buying items that need minor repairs since I like to tinker with things. If an item has a blemish it is far easier also to bargain for it. My newest deisle is an Athearn Blue Box and the newest steamer is a Mantua (pre- Mantua selling to Model Power or classic ling enginge).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts