Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: I know most say Tyce = Junk...

with that out of the way...

I have this loco and need some guidance. I would like to oil it but not sure how to take it apart. The train runs fast...pulls 11 cars but surges now and then.

I ran my new cheap [$40] Bachman dcc train on my dc track. it runs smooth and consistent thus its not the track..

ok off to pics...

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stupid crazy to open.. got it.. im sitting here after lunch just looking and man my eyes are getting worse and worse.. i need a new prescription for my glasses. Found that out all before this issue so never got my new lenses..

so there are 4 tabs.. 2 up front and 2 out back... easy peasy there..

now have to figure out how to remove the trucks so i can clean/grease it up... i cleaned the motor and still acting the way it is so isnt that...

·
Registered
788 Posts
What you're dealing with there is not a Tyco, but rather an AHM Alco 424.
Tyco did make a similar Alco 430, but the drive is completely different. The good news is that the AHM is easier to service and -despite being only single-truck-powered- is a worthy candidate for upgrading with one of the affordable can motors from ebay that can be had for 3-5 bucks.

I don't think you have to entirely remove the trucks for cleaning and lubing them as the entire bottom of each truck will snap off to reveal the gears and such. If you can't figure it out, let me know and I'll check as I've got one upstairs somewhere.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What you're dealing with there is not a Tyco, but rather an AHM Alco 424.
Tyco did make a similar Alco 430, but the drive is completely different. The good news is that the AHM is easier to service and -despite being only single-truck-powered- is a worthy candidate for upgrading with one of the affordable can motors from ebay that can be had for 3-5 bucks.

I don't think you have to entirely remove the trucks for cleaning and lubing them as the entire bottom of each truck will snap off to reveal the gears and such. If you can't figure it out, let me know and I'll check as I've got one upstairs somewhere.

Good Luck!
interesting, i assumed Tyco but it does not say that anywhere. It does however say Made in Austria under it.. so maybe i have an AHM 424? i just googled Tyco 76 diesel and got to a page that lead me to think it was a tyco...

yes im stuck on how to remove this to get it going. I read that the gears get messed up on them and im wondering if i have that issue too.. so definitely want to open up the drive wheels to look inside.

i figure this is a cheap train to mess with so if i break it, no harm no foul...

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
interesting, i assumed Tyco but it does not say that anywhere. It does however say Made in Austria under it.. so maybe i have an AHM 424? i just googled Tyco 76 diesel and got to a page that lead me to think it was a tyco...

yes im stuck on how to remove this to get it going. I read that the gears get messed up on them and im wondering if i have that issue too.. so definitely want to open up the drive wheels to look inside.

i figure this is a cheap train to mess with so if i break it, no harm no foul...
I think I saw the loco headligjht flicker...if so, that would indicate poor wheel power
pickup from the track. You might try cleaning the loco wheels.
The easy way to do this is to run the front wheels onto a paper towel
that has a 2 inch spot of alcohol. Run up the speed as you hold the loco with
your hand...the wheels will spin in the alcohol and clean themselves. However,
if the loco has one rail power pickup on one truck and other truck picks up
the opposite rail that won't work and you'll have to 'scrub' each wheel by
hand using alcohol.

Also make sure your track rails are clean.

Don

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I saw the loco headligjht flicker...if so, that would indicate poor wheel power
pickup from the track. You might try cleaning the loco wheels.
The easy way to do this is to run the front wheels onto a paper towel
that has a 2 inch spot of alcohol. Run up the speed as you hold the loco with
your hand...the wheels will spin in the alcohol and clean themselves. However,
if the loco has one rail power pickup on one truck and other truck picks up
the opposite rail that won't work and you'll have to 'scrub' each wheel by
hand using alcohol.

Also make sure your track rails are clean.

Don
thx...

track is brand new atlas 100 flex track. straight from a new pack. ill try cleaning wheels. thx

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
If that has Made in Austria on the bottom, it was made by Roco as Eilif indicated.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cleaned wheels but side note.. seems 2 wheels have traction wheels? so im betting dont clean that off.. hah

but you have a point..straight away its fine but on corners seems to do this leaning towards trucks to track...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts