Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed previously, so forgive me.

I'm building an auto rack and wanted to get the best performance on tighter radius turns. I have an 18" look and a 21" loop. I put a body mounted coupler on ond end and a truck mounted on the other. Both knuckle couplers, over McHenry and one kadee. To my surprise the body mounted coupler performed better even on the inside loop. I would have expected to have problems with the body mount on the turn. There were no other cars connected, just the rack. Surprisingly, the body mounted coupler handled fine on the 18" loop even at full speed (127mph, scale). So obviously that's what I'm using.

My question... The truck mounted coupler clearly stayed more centered between the rails, where as the body mounted one hung over the outside as it went around. So how is it that the body mount performed better?

I should note that the truck mount was fixed, as the spring mechanism would not fit inside the truck mount. Would a better set up truck mount work even better still?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
774 Posts
There's allot of variables in this equation, but a few things.

1- Any mount should have some spring movement. It's not really a fair comparison if a coupler is fixed in place with no movement. What you are essentially comparing is a broken talgo and a functional body-mount.

2- the mount of whatever they are attached to, and how far that overhangs is of importance. If length and truck position is approximately the same, then talgos will typically best attach to other talgos and body mounts to body mounts.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured that had something to do with it. I can't find great boxes that for the McHenry long reach couplers.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts