Model Train Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
While I do not know the name of that design; that type would have been introduced in the late 1930s and early 1940s I estimate, indicated by the sill mounted brake staff. Later improved versions of that design in the latter 1940s and into the 1950s saw a modernized design with the brake wheel mounted to the end of the tank body, and the wheel turned 90 degrees, perpendicular to the ground.

Other pre 1950 designs that were common had narrower tanks and taller domes. Tichy makes kits of this style, which date back to the 1800s. The domes were also more ornate, kind of resembling fancy percolators one might expect at a royal tea party… except black of course.

Going back to 1860 or earlier you’d start seeing multiple wooden vertical barrel type designs on flat cars.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While I do not know the name of that design; that type would have been introduced in the late 1930s and early 1940s I estimate, indicated by the sill mounted brake staff. Later improved versions of that design in the latter 1940s and into the 1950s saw a modernized design with the brake wheel mounted to the end of the tank body, and the wheel turned 90 degrees, perpendicular to the ground.

Other pre 1950 designs that were common had narrower tanks and taller domes. Tichy makes kits of this style, which date back to the 1800s. The domes were also more ornate, kind of resembling fancy percolators one might expect at a royal tea party… except black of course.

Going back to 1860 or earlier you’d start seeing multiple wooden vertical barrel type designs on flat cars.
Will go with Tichy, Thanks

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The slightly later version I mentioned with the body-mounted brake wheel, was/is made by nearly everybody. The earlier “brake staff” version… I can’t recall who made it, or when. Athearn blue box kits have the later brake on a stand attached to the sill. That could be easily changed to the earlier staff type. I generally get these cars for $5-$9 (pre-owned) at train shows.

·
Premium Member
13,041 Posts
To my knowledge, no one makes that exact style of tank car, so I guess it depends on how faithful to the prototype you want to get….the b&w photo shows the real tank car is quite different than the red car they put the decals on…..
Train Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Rolling stock

I have found that Proto 2000 tank cars are the most detailed tanks cars for the money, in either kit form or RTR…..but you’d have more luck finding an undecorated one in kit form….

But again, the real car type has never been made in exact model form…..

Train Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Mode of transport

Train Vehicle Motor vehicle Product Rolling stock

1 - 8 of 8 Posts