Model Train Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone here who may have ordered the special run TCA Santa Fe Bicentennial SD45 powered & superbass engines have received them yet. All the other newest Lionel SD45's have been released and shipped to dealers/customers for a couple weeks now. I would guess the Bicentennial engines would have been produced at the same time along with all the other regular production SD45's.

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
According to the TCA web site delivery scheduled for summer / fall 2022 but it also states that there are 3 in stock. You may want to contact the TCA to see if they have received the locos yet.

Bill

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good Afternoon Everyone,

Bill, when checking my account, my order for these had been listed as "processing" for 17 days, and yes, I saw that there were a few listed as in stock. That's why I wondered what was happening. Tried once to contact TCA with no luck. However, yesterday, I managed to speak with a nice woman at the TCA national business office and got the whole story, so here goes. The TCA has the locomotives in hand but none have been shipped out to the buyers yet. She told me there are several factors in play.

1. They are shorthanded/understaffed at the present time.
2. They are in the process of sending out approx. 2800 notices/invoices for membership dues.
3. They are involved in all the paperwork/processes for closing out their fiscal year which apparently ends the end of June.
4. Last but not least, the TCA national convention is being held this week in Nashville and isn't over until this Saturday.

She told me they hope to start shipping the engines the early part of July. We had a little laugh when I told her that we're like a bunch of little kids wanting the toys at Christmas.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good Evening Spence,

I don't mind waiting a little bit(relatively speaking compared with the manufacturers/and or shipping delays). I was actually pretty happy that the TCA has the engines in hand. Also glad there were finally enough pre-orders to have these made as the original order cutoff date had been extended due to the minimun quantity not being reached.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Good Evening Everyone,

Well, the wait is over as my TCA Santa Fe Bicentennial SD45's arrived today! Road #5700 is the powered engine and road #5704 is the non powered superbass engine. I opened both boxes and inspected both engines for paint damage, broken parts, missing pieces, loose screws etc. and am tickled pink to report that I only found a loose horn on the cab roof of #5700. The round plates with the US emblem are packed separately to avoid damage and you must install them yourself. I also removed the fan housing access hatch at the top rear of each engine where the various switches are located. Interesting to note that there is no battery harness/connecter to snap on to a 9v battery. These engines are packed in the styrofoam box pretty tight. The real Santa Fe Bicentennial engines were actually SD45-2's and the biggest external difference from the SD45 is the lack of the flared radiator at the top rear. There were not a large number of real SD45-2 engines produced and the odds of the O Gauge train manufacturers producing one(with the exception of maybe 3rd Rail) is pretty slim in my opinion. So for me personally, the SD45 is an acceptable stand in for these particular engines. The paint scheme and the details on these engines are outstanding. In my opinion, both the TCA and Lionel are to be commended on this joint project. Here are a few photos of the #5704 non powered superbass engine. What do you think?

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts