Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would appreciate some help with my #6250 Seaboard switcher. Someone installed a teledyne-type coupler fix so that when a whistle lever is pushed, the front and back couplers open, which is nice for switch operations. Unfortunately when I replaced a coupler spring last week, I had to take apart the front truck where the fixer had gerry-rigged the teledyne hookup. Can anyone explain the wiring route that this might have taken? I've tried a few hookups, but anything I try shorts out, and I don't think it's some kind of typical shorting situation, that it might be my incorrect hookup of the teledyne (which uses a horn relay), but I can't make heads or tails of the wiring involved.

Thanks for any suggestions. This forum is the best.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,480 Posts
Would appreciate some help with my #6250 Seaboard switcher. Someone installed a teledyne-type coupler fix so that when a whistle lever is pushed, the front and back couplers open, which is nice for switch operations. Unfortunately when I replaced a coupler spring last week, I had to take apart the front truck where the fixer had gerry-rigged the teledyne hookup. Can anyone explain the wiring route that this might have taken? I've tried a few hookups, but anything I try shorts out, and I don't think it's some kind of typical shorting situation, that it might be my incorrect hookup of the teledyne (which uses a horn relay), but I can't make heads or tails of the wiring involved.

Thanks for any suggestions. This forum is the best.
I can't help you but the gunrunnerjohn might know.

He has not logged on since 7/2 he might have gone away for the 4th.
Hang tight.

NIMT? He might know?

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,480 Posts
You shpuld of got a copy of the directions. Without information I can't help you.
He said someone Gerry-rigged the teledyne hookup.

Maybe some good pictures of the wiring would help?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
If you have standard coil couplers, the coupler will open when you supply center rail voltage to the coil. The ground wire I think is internal to the coil and should be connected to the frame of the coupler.

When you operate the whistle, the whistle relay closes and supplies center rail voltage to the whistle motor in a normal installation. That same wire, if it is connected to the coil of the coupler should open the coupler. Check the coil by itself by grounding the coupler to the outer rail, and using a clip lead or piece of wire, put center rail voltage on the coil. Have the transformer voltage low, around 10 volts.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,480 Posts
I found a teledyne diagram.

Just a coil coupler attached to a whistle relay. Gee I never heard the reference before.

This should help.
Good searching T man, I never heard of it either.
I thought Gun-John might have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts