Model Train Forum banner

81 - 100 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
I am still waiting for my custom decals. In the mean time I reassembled the motor and trucks to the frame. When testing it on the track it had a clicking sound going forward only. I disconnected the front truck and the clicking went away. I found a bur on the brass worm gear which I removed with a needle file now it runs nice and smooth. I also made some light lenses out of clear plastic stock for the front and rear. They still need to be rounded on the end and polished. I also made a square block of brass to mount under the frame which added a nice amount of weight.

Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
do you want an alco rsd4/5 [in brass] to add to the collection ...origional mfgr was kumata in 1977
I would like to have Alco RSD 4/5. However it would not work on my shelf layout. I can only use 40 ft cars and short 4 wheel truck diesel engines on the John Allen layout. I am looking for a GP 7 or 9 hi nose diesel.

Ed

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
I would like to have Alco RSD 4/5. However it would not work on my shelf layout. I can only use 40 ft cars and short 4 wheel truck diesel engines on the John Allen layout. I am looking for a GP 7 or 9 hi nose diesel.

Ed

too bad it won't work on your shelf layout ... it's just going to sit in the display here, doesn't fit into 1890's either, lol
oh well, it was just an idea ...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
While I am waiting for the decals I decided to rewire the motor and trucks with plugs. The plugs with wires are from Evan Designs and cost $1.00 each (you get a male and female plug with 8 inches of wire on each plug). A piece of styreen is super glued to the bronze strip that holds the top motor brush in place. Then I glued both black plugs to the plastic. I purposely used a female plug for the motor and a male plug for the trucks. The Digitrax encoder will be mounted in the roof of the cab with a male and female plug which will prevent plugging the wrong cable into the wrong socket. So the encoder, wiring and lights will stay in the cab when separated.

Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
If brass is what your looking for in a GP7, 9 there is a nice one on the bay right now cheap.Rene
Thank's for the link. That is definitely a nice brass GP 7. What I really want is a project that needs lots of work. I enjoy running trains but I get more enjoyment working on them.

Ed

·
Registered
302 Posts
I used some K4, I was impressed at how thin they were, they kept wrapping under the paper when I slid them off.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Murv2, Thanks for the input. I ordered 4 different sizes.

Ed

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
I finally put some decals on the GP 20. The SW stands for a fictional RR called South West. Next I will install some number boards that I painted black and then install the white number on them.

Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
746 Posts
there's no discernible edge to them really. perhaps up closer it would be more apparent. are they water decals?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Looks nice Ed. Imagine you got them from K4Pacific.

What sizes? Looking to dress up my Varney belt drive.
The decals are (K4 HO Decals White Railroad Roman Letter Number Alphabet Set)

I used 3/32" for the number boards
3/16" for the numbers under the window
1/2" for the SW on the side ( it is called G scale)

I sprayed the area for the decals with clear gloss first. And I wet the area with Micro Set first then applied the decals. Before it dried I used Micro Sol on the large SW to get it soft then used a small stiff brush to move the large W down into the groves. Once everything is completed and dry I will spray the entire shell with dull coat. I found out you don't want to move them around too much. Once they stick they will tear if moved. I purchased the decals on Ebay.

Ed

81 - 100 of 130 Posts