Model Train Forum banner

101 - 120 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Welcome to the club.

I have set a lot of decals in my model plane, car, and train hobbies. Some turned out well, others not so.

Kicked around ebay for awhile. Lot's of train related decals there, Boston and Maine (my interest) and others. Found micro-set and some decals that I can use. Putting together an order.

Thanks Ed.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
The black number boards are installed and the decals are on. When they are dry I will spray the GP 20 with dull coat. Then I can start working on the lens's and installing the wiring.

Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Really looks great. Did you sand the paint between coats?
I blasted the brass shell with pumice. Then sprayed the shell with Tamiya gray primer. Then using my air brush I sprayed the shell with Erie Lackawana Gray paint by Tru-Color. Then spray painted the yellow over the gray paint. No sanding in between.

Ed

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Yesterday I sprayed the shell with True-color clear flat with my air brush, It came out semi gloss and did not look good. So today I bought some Testors dull coat # 1260 and now the paint has a nice flat finish to it. Plus it hides the edge of the decals even more.

Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
In a previous post I made 4 head light lens's. Today I polished all four lens and installed them on the shell with a dab of glue. Then I used some heat shrink to go over the lens's that happen to be 5mm ID. Using a test jig I inserted a 5mm LED into the heat shrink. Looks like it will work OK. So now I can start the wiring and install the decoder in the shell.

Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Well The GP 20 is finally finished. The first picture is what I started with. The second picture is the decoder installed in the shell with the lights and 2 connectors. The trucks, gas tank and air tanks are painted with Model Master Grimy Black Flat # 4887. The lights go on and off with the direction. And the engine runs smooth and quiet. This was a challenging and fun project and I think I would do it again if I find another brass engine.

Thanks for all the interest, Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Mars Light

I programmed my Digitrax DH126PS for a Mars light to test it out.

I set CV51=3, CV49=2, CV33=1 I won't leave like this I just wanted to see how it works.

Ed

·
Registered
380 Posts
It might interest you to know that your effort inspired me to build a poor mans example out of an old Varney belt drive locomotive.

Not any where in the same league as yours, but I'm proud of it. Got another one to do with a B unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
One question, are you planning on glazing the windows? Even just some acrylic sheet glued behind the window frames would look quite good.[/QUOTE]

Yes I will install the windows. I saved some thin plastic material that was part of some Christmas packages. I need to pick up some canopy glue first.

Ed

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Hi rsv1ho,

The old Varney looks new again. And I like the gray shell with the silver trucks. Do you have it running?

Ed

101 - 120 of 130 Posts