Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whoever designed this new site changes must believe that some of us old timers need larger letter and more white space. Whatever you paid to some 19 year old to design this was wasted. Now you want us to upgrade to "premium" to pay for these changes. I can not even see which threads I have read before. I will not upgrade to premium, and I will not be a part of this site anymore. I have enjoyed interacting with all of you in the S scale forum.
Too much white space.

Good by and good luck. If you want to interact with me, you can send me a private message, and include your email address and I will get back to you.
Dooper (Al)

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,404 Posts
Whoever designed this new site changes must believe that some of us old timers need larger letter and more white space. Whatever you paid to some 19 year old to design this was wasted. Now you want us to upgrade to "premium" to pay for these changes. I can not even see which threads I have read before. I will not upgrade to premium, and I will not be a part of this site anymore. I have enjoyed interacting with all of you in the S scale forum.
Too much white space.

Good by and good luck. If you want to interact with me, you can send me a private message, and include your email address and I will get back to you.
Dooper (Al)
And another satisfied customer. :rolleyes:

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,404 Posts
Very easy to see them click on your name upper right then click following, then participated discussions
all your threads are in my discussions
there is a dark mode for the screen

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Al, we will be much poorer without your participation here on the MTF. While there is a lot of white background on my screen there is not a large gap between posts in the thread and there is no disruptive advertising. I am not a premium member, I wonder why our screen views sound so different. On my computer I am using Firefox with an ad blocker. On my iPad I just use the standard Apple Safari with no additional features. The MTF appearance is the same on both devices.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I use Firefox with a script blocker. It is very effective at not allowing ads to be displayed. You can allow only the actual website scripts to run, and all the annoying ad related scripts do not run.

·
Registered
641 Posts
So okay I have reviewed the "We've Updated!" upgrades but find no reference to what the points mean or how and why they are accumulated. I do get ads but not a great deal of them. Think I too will switch Firefox. I have reviewed and checked out the new features. Still not a fan. I am still in the "can't teach an old dog new tricks" group since I do qualify in that group at 73.

Kenny

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Too much white space.

Dooper (Al)
I certainly wouldn't think it's worth quitting over a couple of changes, no matter how unwelcome they were.

FWIW, they didn't pay anyone to develop this software. It's a canned package. I was already familiar with it from other forums. It can be customized, but the basic functionality is part of the package. The conversion was probably made because this package is newer, more secure, and less resource intensive than the old (thus requiring less storage, computing power, and bandwidth than the old).

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Click on your avatar in the upper right, then on "Account Settings" One of the options there will be "Upgrade to Premium" Click on "Learn More". Here is what you get:

Screenshot_20200328-192443_Chrome.jpg

·
Registered
383 Posts
$19.99 seem to be the magic number. $19.99 for this, $19.99 for that, it's all over TV. Pretty soon you go broke on the monthly/yearly plan.

You know what I miss...………….Hobo, Gang laborer, Brakeman, Conductor etc. etc. I thought that was innovative and neat when I became a member. So now we are all just "Registered". Maybe it comes back for $19.99 a year......I ain't buyin'.

Bob the Conductor

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
The XenForo software package has the ability to assign titles based on post count, I suspect they have not been implemented for this forum.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have been a software developers for 30+ years. I also am visually impaired. In the 90's I did an extensive study on most visible color combinations given the limited palette back then. I ended up with dark blue with white, yellow and cyan characters as providing best readability.

Large areas of white space tend to wash out the screen, at least to me. My pupils narrow from the amount of light and it makes reading more difficult. I'm already getting a headache from looking at this screen. If I leave it will be because I am having problems reading this and getting a headache. Fatter, serif style is much easier on the eyes.

The settings for IE help a bit but if you muck with it to much to make it work on one website, then you muck up the rest of them.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,404 Posts
I have been a software developers for 30+ years. I also am visually impaired. In the 90's I did an extensive study on most visible color combinations given the limited palette back then. I ended up with dark blue with white, yellow and cyan characters as providing best readability.

Large areas of white space tend to wash out the screen, at least to me. My pupils narrow from the amount of light and it makes reading more difficult. I'm already getting a headache from looking at this screen. If I leave it will be because I am having problems reading this and getting a headache. Fatter, serif style is much easier on the eyes.

The settings for IE help a bit but if you muck with it to much to make it work on one website, then you muck up the rest of them.
Pick the dark mode?
Click the 3 dots upper right and try the dark mode.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Pick the dark mode?
Click the 3 dots upper right and try the dark mode.
Tried that, got "Report" which generally means report this post to the monitors. Didn't do it.

What ever happened to "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Seriously not in love with this format.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,404 Posts
Tried that, got "Report" which generally means report this post to the monitors. Didn't do it.

What ever happened to "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Seriously not in love with this format.
Not at the top in the thread, but the upper right top way up by your avatar way up top.
3 dots,
Click you will see dark mode.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Not at the top in the thread, but the upper right top way up by your avatar way up top.
3 dots,
Click you will see dark mode.
Found it Ed, dark background white type. I will try it for awhile but thinking I will eventually turn back to the opposite.

Thanks - Bob the Conductor...……..

1 - 20 of 50 Posts