Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I was attempting to get an intermediate format that has perhaps a gray background that wouldn't be so hard on the eyes.
John that would be super if you can do it.
I'm on another forum that has gray and it's much easier on the eyes.

Magic

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I hate to say it but I have a mixed opinion on this new format. On my PC I do not like all of the extra ads and the white space etc. I do understand that I am not paying for the site so I should not complain about the ads. On the other hand these ads are all on one side of the screen so I am not forced to stare at them all the time.

Now the good part that I like about this new set up is how it performs on my tablet. The old site did not display well on the tablet this does. It seems to automatically format the the screen.

Knowing that this is a free site if it is functional I will use it. The content is why I am here, that part has not changed, only change is the presentation.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I hate to say it but I have a mixed opinion on this new format. On my PC I do not like all of the extra ads and the white space etc. I do understand that I am not paying for the site so I should not complain about the ads. On the other hand these ads are all on one side of the screen so I am not forced to stare at them all the time.

Now the good part that I like about this new set up is how it performs on my tablet. The old site did not display well on the tablet this does. It seems to automatically format the the screen.

Knowing that this is a free site if it is functional I will use it. The content is why I am here, that part has not changed, only change is the presentation.
I am using Google Chrome with Adblocker plus and I do not get any ads on any sides of the screen. I use the dark format and it does not bother my eyes at all. I am still using Windows 7 and I am older than 65 and have had cataract
surgery done on both eyes 2 years ago.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
The change was gonna happen. Can’t fight progress. I am not a big fan of the new format, but it is here to stay.

Posting pictures is certainly easier.

My take on this, is that with all the Covid19 related issues happening in our daily lives, the time to change formats may have been premature. People need some stability in their lives, no matter how small. I think the change “threw” some people off.

I truly appreciate the efforts put into the maintenance of this site. We will get used to it, for the better...

Tom

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I'm sure this was planned a long time ago. VerticalScope hosts hundreds of websites, that fact that ours was changed just recently is purely coincidence.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Oh, I don’t doubt that. The effects are still felt by some people. The change time wasn’t intentional.
Tom

·
Registered
64 Posts
John,
Is there, or could there be, an option to view all threads in a larger font? I looked but didn't find an option.
I don't know about the board software, but windows 10 has this built in .. hold the CTRL key down, and tap the + key, that will make the font larger, the - key will make it smaller font

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,404 Posts
I thought I posted this hours ago but here it is sitting waiting for me?

A snowblower site I am on they are changing too, same hosts.
I don't see why they could not have called discussions threads like they used to be?
PM's are now conversations, would have been nice just to stick with PM's?
I think that the bunch of word changes have confused some too, now they will have to learn new terms.
It would have been a little easier if they had just stuck with the old terminology?
I am learning OK, but I see others are having a hard time, I do try to help, if you know where to look a lot of things are easier.
As mentioned the picture process is easier now, I have not tried to post a video yet.
And I still see a dramatic drop in online members.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I don't know about the board software, but windows 10 has this built in .. hold the CTRL key down, and tap the + key, that will make the font larger, the - key will make it smaller font
Good point. It may help many here. I use it all the time with various app.'s, especially viewing pic.'s when I want to zero in on a specific detail.

It's even easier than that. Hold down CTRL and use the scroll wheel on the mouse. CTRL-Scroll Up to zoom in (larger typeface) and Ctrl-Scroll Down to zoom out. And the new S/W (in Chrome) reacts very well to enlarging the view (not all app.'s do).

I encourage members to try it. Once you use it, it's a breeze to zoom in and out at will Your hand is usually on the mouse to click threads and scroll as you read them. Just use your left hand (thumb) on the CTRl key while operating the scroll wheel for zooming.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,404 Posts
Not just Windows 10.

The hold the control and hit the plus or minus has been that way for a long time.
Windows Me, and XP had that option. Been that way for a long time, I think since at least since Windows 95?
It might be as long as key boards been around? Or added a few years after key boards were made?

The new format had nothing to do with that.

If you want to copy and paste something highlight the content and hold the control and C key to copy.
To paste hold the control and the V key to paste the content.

There are some more shortcuts while using the control key.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I thought I posted this hours ago but here it is sitting waiting for me?

A snowblower site I am on they are changing too, same hosts.
I don't see why they could not have called discussions threads like they used to be?
PM's are now conversations, would have been nice just to stick with PM's?
I think that the bunch of word changes have confused some too, now they will have to learn new terms.
It would have been a little easier if they had just stuck with the old terminology?
I am learning OK, but I see others are having a hard time, I do try to help, if you know where to look a lot of things are easier.
As mentioned the picture process is easier now, I have not tried to post a video yet.
And I still see a dramatic drop in online members.
Ed, it's not just a matter of a new banner and other things, it's a completely new software package. The old forum used vBulletin, this new forum uses XenForo. vBulletin called them threads and PMs. XenForo calls them discussions and conversations. I appreciate that you are trying to help others, I am also when I see something I can explain.

·
Admin
43,477 Posts
The problem with changing the fonts in your browser is you then have to adjust them again when you go to another site.

The fact that you don't have font size options or color options with a "modern" forum package is unimpressive to me.

I still want the ability change the fonts to something about this size! I also want the ability to change the colors!

As you can see above, it's clearly within the ability of the board software to do these things, it's a matter of adding the controls to the editor.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
The problem with changing the fonts in your browser is you then have to adjust them again when you go to another site.

The fact that you don't have font size options or color options with a "modern" forum package is unimpressive to me.

I still want the ability change the fonts to something about this size! I also want the ability to change the colors!

As you can see above, it's clearly within the ability of the board software to do these things, it's a matter of adding the controls to the editor.
But that only allows posters to emphasize items different fonts/colors. A member with problems viewing posts i doesn't have this option to enlarge or change fonts while viewing.

Try the CTRL Scroll. It's quick and you can reset it on the fly. As I mentioned before, very handy when viewing pic.'s to zoom in on a detail, then just zoom back out.

Left thumb on CTRL, scroll up and down.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts