Model Train Forum banner

Texas Special

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  imatt88 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I snagged the last diesel engine at that consignment store. It's a Lionel Texas Special

Rough, but salvagable

Front shot, no coupler:confused:

No frills here, no horn or anything

I'll have to see if there are any Texas Special decals out there...this one deserves to be restored:thumbsup:

After I cleaned him out, there is only a couple of pieces of Marx track, some Lionel track, and some assorted rolling stock from both manufacturers left there....

Soon they will be mine...;)

Cheers, Ian

See less See more
#7 ·
Hey guys,

E-mailed Jeff Kane last night about restoration decals.

He has none for these Alcos, plus, he knows of no place to get replacement decals for these either:(

It would be nice to find out if this unit did have some type of A dummy or B unit

Looks like I got my work cut out for me:eek:hwell:

Thanks for all the help,

Cheers, Ian

#8 ·
Ian,

Via David Doyle's Lionel Trains Catalog, 1945-1969 ...

"1055 Texas Special -- Shown for two years in the dealer advanced catalogs, this 1959-60 produced ALCO A unit was a low-cost item. Its body was painted red with whilte heat-stamped letterng and an onamental horn was mounted on its roof. Lacking a front coupler, the pilot was molded closed. A decorative plastic fuel tank was screwed to the underside of the frame, and a headlight was installed in the nose. A ballast weight was riveted on the inside of the rear wall of the body. Two different moldings were used to make the 1055 bodies -- some with and some without the reinforcing ledge at the bottom of the pilot."

No dummy. No B. No "found treasure" fortune and early retirement for you. Sorry.

(Still, a nice looking loco ... and we know her future is looking bright in your hands!)

TJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.