Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to say that everyone on this forum has been amazing. I joined about two weeks ago and I cannot believe how much I have learned from here so far. I have been made to feel very welcome and no one has commented badly when I chimed in with my newbie opinion on the few things I could answer. From what I have seen with other newcomers, this seems to be the standard.

So, thanks for the welcome and the help. I really have come to enjoy this forum more than almost any I have been with in the past.

·
Admin
44,782 Posts
There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

When someone belittles you for asking a amateur question, they're the stupid one. Everyone starts life at the starting blocks at zero, same with any hobby activity. We all asked incredibly stupid sounding questions at some time in our life, I still ask my share of them now. :)

·
Premium Member
9,203 Posts
Actually, even the answers are not necessarily stupid.....there are many ways of doing things in this hobby, so one answer may not be any better, or worse, than another.....different strokes for different folks.....

Just try to keep it fun, and you’ll enjoy this hobby even more! (y)

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,168 Posts
There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

When someone belittles you for asking a amateur question, they're the stupid one. Everyone starts life at the starting blocks at zero, same with any hobby activity. We all asked incredibly stupid sounding questions at some time in our life, I still ask my share of them now. :)
YOU, THE GREAT WIZZARD ASKS STUPID QUESTIONS? :whistle:
SHOW ME ONE. :D

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,168 Posts
Actually, even the answers are not necessarily stupid.....there are many ways of doing things in this hobby, so one answer may not be any better, or worse, than another.....different strokes for different folks.....

Just try to keep it fun, and you’ll enjoy this hobby even more! (y)
You said something I agree with? :oops:

Everyone should be like us huh?
Respectful and cordial to each other. 🤪😁

Reactions: QueenoftheGN

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I feel that there is one skill not taught nearly enough in society, and that is the one where, instead of taking umbrage and assuming the worst about a person, we do something like..oh, I dunno.....SEEK CLARIFICATION?!? If you are unsure, or if you think there's a slim chance you have misunderstood, ASK! Ask the person to clarify their request, or YOU do some of the lifting and reframe the question to them. They'll either agree or disagree, and hopefully it will get straightened out.

Some people, though, have the personality where they want to belittle others, and to me it speaks of their own insecurities.

·
Registered
10,051 Posts
Unfortunately, we do have a troll or two here, but we try to smack them down when they get out of line. Most of the members here are great folks.

That's one reason I left Model Railroader's discussion boards: too many rivet counters and "You're not a REAL model railroader if..." types. We're largely free of that kind of judgement, and I'm very happy about that.

Reactions: Steve Rothstein

·
Admin
44,782 Posts
I'm going to have to disagree with this... I've known myself for almost 40 years and I'm stupid... My wife affirms this sometimes daily!!!
Well, she knows you better than I do, so I'll take her word for it! :p:p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts