Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An undeniable attraction
Motive power and passenger equipment.

Its been growing on me for some time, especially since the advent of DCC.
I can't deny a robust fascination with this railroad genre.

The unmistakable profile of electro pan-equipped motive power, pulling their passenger trains through the Euro-type landscape is very appealing to me.
And the finescale models appear to be superb.

If I were wealthy I'd have a separate layout devoted to it.

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In deference to MichaelE, I don't know squat about Euro freight equipment, but I could easily be persuaded.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I've 2 engines both picked up separate trips... Nothing special. One I put DCC in, the other I've not gotten to it yet. I'd also like some cars...could be anything.

Finally I find the urban trams of interest for some reason.

You know it's variety. I just imagine in my rail road they do a lot of buying and trading. They are always looking for a real and have a great retrofit shop.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I love the variety that comes with Euro railroading. So much equipment and so many counties all using different locomotives. It also brings back many pleasant memories of living there.

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love the variety that comes with Euro railroading...
Awesome stuff there, Michael.
I've admired your scenes for awhile now.
Your locomotives and cars are superb.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
It sure isn't Amtrak.

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
I don't think any of you were around at this time but here is a Eruo RR build thread
you might be interested in.
It's a very big thread but some outstanding European modeling.
Cosmos hasn't posted for quite some time but his work is excellent.

Magic

·
Registered
28 Posts
I love the variety that comes with modeling European Railroads. Since I have lived in Germany for the last 16 years, I have been able to acquire many different Freight Cars as well as Passenger Cars. There is so much available to include the Faller Car System for your layout. Since I am in the process of moving back to the US, I have had to take apart my layout. Soon, I will be running German trains again.

Mike

·
Registered
226 Posts
In deference to MichaelE, I don't know squat about Euro freight equipment, but I could easily be persuaded.
I don't either, and I could too.:)

It's not just the equipment that I like but the structures as well-such style and character, something sorely lacking in the US offerings.

This might sound odd but a large part of the appeal to me is how clean everything is. Whenever I see Michael's pics I like to look up the real deal, and rarely do I find pics of dirt encrusted rust buckets. And, no graffiti!

·
Registered
28 Posts
There is plenty of graffiti here in Germany, just not much on the rail cars. Occasionally, you will see some freight cars go by with graffiti. However, there is plenty to make up for it on the platforms and station houses.

Mike

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I was hoping to have station announcements in both English and German, but they are all in German. Listening to the audio on You Tube videos of station announcements can be heard in both languages.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
that i can recall when I've been on something (train, plane, etc...) in [western] europe that's a fairly big line [meaning they are likely to have people from outside the country or know they do], they do them in both. usually the home language first, then english -- usually with an american accent vs british but sometimes the other way.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
btw this may be of interest. somehow google "found me" and started pumping model train and some real train news onto my google news. eventually one time it was article from these folks, i read it and enjoyed it and signed up for free.

now i glance at it from time to time.

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't either, and I could too.:)
I've seen photos of 'freight wagons', but never in consist or trains or freight yards.
I know it sounds silly, but I have no idea if they're facilitated, dispatched, and distributed the same as in the U.S.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I don't know anything about DB freight or how they operate. Only what the trains look like and the locomotives that pull them.

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A club member has a Euro freight operation of sorts... but he mixes old 1920's & '30's cars with modern ones, so I don't figure he has a clue either.

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't know anything about DB freight or how they operate. Only what the trains look like and the locomotives that pull them.
Does that mean Euro freight locomotives are much different than passenger?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts