Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had thought long and hard since Micheal advised a few months back that, pretty much my little area was maxed out. I have been in hospital for a little while, and I, at some point had a vision. Nothing complex, but the next step. It required an upgrade in size and rethinking of how I run the layout. Also going to encompass some of the things that I have learned on my small layout.

I am going to try to do some switches. I also going to still do N and HO.. I am doing it simply because I have a good deal of tinkering preformed on my N engines. Basically no other reason. I am finding myself enjoying the simplicity of my HO engines a bit more these days (simply because of the size and what they offer). So my switching is going to be based on the HO models(I may, at some point do a couple N switches, but I'm not sure at this point). I also believe that, I will only run an engine on each line, which I will only have 2 lines this time. I am going to consist my N engines I believe, or I will have a sitting "waiting zone" of sorts..

I cannot say it will be prototypical in any sort, simply because my realism skills imho aren't there. I would like to experiment with some weathering also. These are my goals of this expansion.

For now, I have broken the old layout all the way down, and have begun getting my track plan in order. It has to be simple for me, as I do not know how switches do, or do not affect the DCC circuit. I want to say I saw something about reversing, but I cannot remember. I will have to read on it. I am far enough away from it anyhow that I have time..

I, of course will update as things proceed. For now (today), I built my platform/table, stripped everything from the old platform (I didn't think it would be that difficult or time consuming), hung cleaned everything up, and actually pinned up the track on the layout (my concept plan), and traced it. Tomorrow's goal is to caulk the track to the foam, and honestly that's it, along with soldering the connections on the trackwork. But tomorrow's a new day and we will see how it goes..

But a decent little start..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
496 Posts
It looks like you have a very good start. I look forward to following you as you progress.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I hope to have a good start. I'm up sanding the little left puget off the old tracks. Then I'm hoping to size up and get the real joiners on. Then, the main task for today is caulking the track to the foam. If I can get to it, with all the joining and soldering in of the feed wires. I have hope though..

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually got things glued down, and all of the soldering of the joints completed. I need to run my feeds, and I think i'm going to actually, not necessarily start fresh with all the decoders (stationary), but because of all the wiring, I think I am going to.. Ah.. Lol.. I'm not sure as of yet. Lol..

But I got some shots of the finished results of the day. I had to put the trains on, just to get an image in my head of how things will look. I might do the same today with the few houses and buildings. I'm really considering a little industrial area around the switches. And yes, I did end up buying a switch for the N scale, just had to..

The goal for today, if possible, honestly is simple:mount the "power distribution and decoder " board (lol, yes, I'm calling and naming it that.. Sounds sooo technical). Which I need to hack from my "minds" estimate, at least 3"off, in order for it to fit under the table, making it basically another brace. I would also like to run at least to feeds to make sure that the trains actually run.. Lol.. But that may be for another day honestly(what always sounds easy, is never actually easy).. . But it would be nice.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Progress!

After getting the switch issue resolved, I moved on to new things. I started the task of ballasting. I decided to try mixing the medium I had with a bag of course, of another color for originality.. Didn't get far, but it's a start.

Also, we tried our hands at foam sculpting. We really only have one bill so far, but it was enough, too at least fuel my imagination to just break and cut some pieces off. The church hill is the result.

Going to try and keep things shorter, so I'm ending.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I had some concerns about access in the corner of the layout but since you were able to fit the church in there it looks like you solved it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had some concerns about access in the corner of the layout but since you were able to fit the church in there it looks like you solved it.
Yes, if I weren't a really big guy, I'd have those concerns also..

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeeee another layout to watch grow. keep then coming along. looking wonderful
Thanks! I am going to, and have tried quite a few new things. It isn't going to be as fast of a build as the last one(as far as I can tell)..

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Updates from last night. I finished the ballast (well I have one little spot on the N siding that I need to do) and moved to the ground work. Did a little foam sculpting, and built the overhang to my factory. I will hopefully this evening finish sanding the foam hills, and hopefully get them glued. That is my hope. And maybe finish the little ballast work. I honestly should be doing that first, but, I don't care for ballasting that much, and know it's something I just have to do. The only other thing with the track that needs to be done, is a little N bumper. That's one reason I haven't finished that piece of ballast yet.

But thats it for now

·
Registered
1 Posts
Everything's coming along so nicely, MatroxD. Can't wait to see it when it's all done. And judging by your pace, that won't be too long from now either. Great stuff.

·
Registered
647 Posts
looking good . im fallowing this one too. love to see everybody's layout in progress . gives me ideas Thanks for posting all the pics. looking good there.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Everything's coming along so nicely, MatroxD. Can't wait to see it when it's all done. And judging by your pace, that won't be too long from now either. Great stuff.
Hi rock!

Thank you, I'm trying. It's different on this one, as there is much more space, and ideas I have in my head that I'd like to try. I was talking to the Mrs., and she was agreeing that so far, mechanically, this layout is ruining much smoother.

I will have my first factory completed today, and need to start the second. I'm trying to just get ideas and a vision, as I add more buildings and items.

I am still up in the air as far as roads, as I would like to try some, but a bit intimidated to try them. But no city is complete without some kind of roads. Especially with having factories and hills. It always was weird to me on my last layout not having roads..

So it's going to take a while just to fully get the "vision" of it. And I'm thinking I cannot get a clear picture until I buy a few more houses, and then complete the second factory. I think if I have 4 to 5 houses, I would think it would fully come to me at that point.

But thank you for the compliment and yes, please follow along with me. You all are my reason for trying new things. The fellow modelers inspired me to try this..

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
looking good . im fallowing this one too. love to see everybody's layout in progress . gives me ideas Thanks for posting all the pics. looking good there.
Hi Sid!

Thank you for the follow.. It's very much an ever evolving process. Add I stated above, I still don't have the full picture. I have work to do on the two factories, and then, that ends well be completed as far as buildings. The buildings and hills /ground foundations, are sort of guiding me this time.

But thank you. I am going to post last night's pictures (taken this morning). I will probably post at least a few pictures of progress as, and every time, I work on things. I am able to visualize with photos, for some odd reason, much better with trains it seems..

Thank you for the follow and also the post..

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok here is a small update. I just about finished with the first factory. I am going to get a good start on the second, and also install the N scale bumper I was able to pick up. Only thing with the bumper is it doesn't have a light on it, like the other 3,and I'd really like for it to have one. I'm hoping to find some or at least one red bulb (I could do led, but then, that wouldn't match, along with dealing with resistors).

Once I have the bumper installed, I will finish the Ballast on that last turnout. Then, all the ballast will be done.. And I can move onto other things.

So here are pics of the factory, along with the overall status of the layout right now..

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Small update. Made a little progress. Got the factories done, with the exception of the decals. Also finished the ballast. We painted the land structures their base color, after sanding down the ones, that we actually, wished to sand. And lastly, I put down, just to see how it looks, a little ground cover. Ah.. Almost forgot Also added a N scale bumper that I had to solder a bulb into. I think that is all..

Up next, we need to finish the "town" end. I figure 2 to 3 more house kits should give a good idea. Hopefully I will only need a couple, as I don't want to load it so much that it looks cluttered. Then, roads.. There's still much to do as far as scenery and adding objects..

I'm laying low today, so I, hopefully can get back on it tomorrow or Saturday..

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Decided to go ahead and add some grass. I will be able to do the roads later. I'm sick of looking at the caulk cracks..

It is my first time ever using the shake scale ground cover, completely over the layout. I like it much better to say the least.. I may come back at some point with a darker green over some spots.. Not sure, as I really do like the look..

1 - 20 of 267 Posts