Model Train Forum banner

What should Lee do with the ONE extra B-unit he managed to buy?

• Leave it warbonnet so you have an ABBA Alco Santa Fe (red) set

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • Repaint it to be a Gold Bonnet unit so you have ABA sets of both red and gold warbonneet

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, an update in a new thread, since plans B and C don't work.

To summarize where my three Plans are:

Plan A: Still hoping Pat's Trains will eventually offer some gold bonnet Alco B units. No definitive word yet. I've offered to "buy a few" - we haven't talked about how many - if that puts him over the top of sufficient orders.
THIS IS A GOOD LONG TERM SOLUTION IF IT WORKS, BUT IT COULD UP TO BE TWO YEARS. . .

Plan B: repaint a PRR B-unit to match. THIS PLAN IS DEAD. Eight paints tried, three metal claddings tested: several are close but none exactly matches the aluminum plating and side cladding well. THIS PLAN IS DEAD.

Plan C: I have found one additional normal warbonnet Santa Fe Alco B-unit! One. I cannot find a second additional one. It has to be the most recent model only (alum paint on older production is too matt on top) - SKU is 20-21004-3. THIS I CAN EASILY REPAINT TO MATCH.

WHICH DO I WANT MORE? This additional B unit would make my current ABA warbonnet (red) Alco set an ABBA set. I really want that, but I'd like a Gold Bonnet B unit for my AA set, to make it an ABA set.

But I have only this one additional unit. I CANNOT FIND ANOTHER. MTH's "find it locally feature" helped, but everyone it listed is now out of them. Many websites that list it actually have just sold out and no yet updated their inventory list. I called 27 other retailers I found on Google, and found only this one.

SO WHAT DO I DO? USE IT FOR THE GOLD BONNET OR LEAVE IT AS IS?

T

·
0 Posts
Lee,

Both solutions are good choices. Either one is the logical choice. That's the problem. There is no logical "best" answer. It's a tie.

In a situation like this you need is an answer that is NOT based on logic. Fortunately for you: You have come to the right place. So lets work this out, ILLOGICALLY.

The ABA reminds me of the American Basketball Association, Julius "Dr. J" Erving and the Red, White and Blue basketball. Also the colors of the Harlem Globetrotters who performed many times at Madison Square Garden which sits directly above New York Penn Station, which once serviced the Pennsylvania RR Broadway limited. The Broadway Limited is an undeniable Classic. Other Broadway Classics include: Cats, Phantom of the Opera and Mamma Mia. Mamma Mia was based on the songs of Swedish super group ABBA. So I think the answer is obvious...Wait...What was the question?

Oh yeah, i remember. I vote for the ABBA.

Emile

P

·
0 Posts
Repaint it, Lee. Although I am hopeful that Pat will do a run of Gold Warbonnet B units. I will talk to him soon and I have a count of 16 so far. (two from you, Lee).

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I think the minimum production quantity Pat was targeting for the gold bonnet B's is 25 units. When I spoke to him a couple of weeks ago, I got the impression that if he had orders for half or more of those, he'd spring for a custom run. HOWEVER, that would be done the next time MTH offers the Alco PA units again. So that could be a few catalog cycles. That's the only way MTH could pare down 25 units with a different paint scheme, because they're NOT gonna just produce 25 gold-bonnet B's where those 25 represent the entire production run.

Some days, patience is a virture.... and good things take time. I'm not holding my breath for anything soon. But if MTH eventually makes Alco PA's again, I told Pat I'm in for 2 non-powered B-units.

David

C

·
0 Posts
I voted to repaint it to Gold Bonnet. My thinking is that you may never see a Gold Bonnet B unit produced but are very likely to come across a Warbonnet B unit either new or used sooner or later.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Keep it as a Red Bonnet since there never was a real deal Gold B unit. Plus the red units are significantly better looking than the gold units.

Bill

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Metallic colors are a PITA to match. My vote is to keep the red.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I thought of a few things that might help you out Lee.
1) All silver from the OEMs will have a black primer. In fact, that is how you get silver to "pop".

2) the consistency of silver you are seeing on the roofs is due to a protective coating. Looks like a gloss/satin mix to me. This shots of Future can make this look happen too.

Soooo, retry your silver color experiment with a black primer coat (try gloss AND flat).
Don't use lexan boxes. Use sheet styrene. It more closely mimics the surface you will be spraying. And remember, overcoats darken by a shade. So when you get the silver close but slightly light, you are ready to start with the over coating. This is akin to color filtering. Don't give up!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I’m pretty sure a Gold B unit will show up somewhere that you will be able to pick up, Lee. Or, alternatively, a B unit that you can paint. ABBA is just such a good look in red warbonnet, it would be a shame to paint it. I’d personally rather have an AA set and an ABBA set than two ABAs.

IMHO.

Best regards, Bruce

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, the vote seems pretty conclusive. So, here it is, as it will stay. This is the best diesel set I have. WOW!!
Four units.jpg

A couple of points. I've decided to try the best repaint I can on the PRR B unit. Not much to lose and it might look okay with clear coat and whatever . . . if not, well I tried my best there.

I am fairly certain Pat's Trains will offer some Gold Bonnet B-units. If probably isn't the issue, just when. Something nice to look forward to.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Lee, I concur with your choice; it's how I voted earlier today.

FWIW, and while I have no experience with MTH parts and the Parts Maven, Midge, (except for one tiny purchase), have you tried the MTH parts dept. for the shell you want?

I ask because Lionel (and its surrogate, North Lima Train Works) make a lot of shells available for purchase, including those that are typically small production runs of very popular items--and many do not require "contact Lionel".

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
But LEE what about your Mantra?

"If no one has ever done it that way, it might be fun to try."

Give it a try with the Gold. You'll be the first kid on the block to have one.:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts