·
Railroad Tycoon
24,480 Posts
Looks nice.
Did you do the locos wheels?

·
Registered
23 Posts
WOW = I can hardly believe its the same one!!

TJ
I am so totally envious of what you have done with that set = especially the loco!! Absolutely amazing that it was restored to that condition! Now ===== I have this Ives loco that needs some TLC===================
I am now going to see if I can't send this information to my partner that helps me with the train items, as he was the one that picked that one up at a sale in a small town near here. I will be anxious to hear his comments also
A great job and thanks for keeping another Lionel from the being gone forever!!

The Ives is also his (via his grandfather) and needs some motor work and I know nothing about the older items. Any suggestions for help ? He does not want to get rid of it = just get it up and going again - he has the whole set up.

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Thanks for the nice comments, guys ... much appreciated.

Ed ... not much done on the wheels. Just cleaned them up. I opted NOT to paint the spokes red here (as I did on my black 1681's), because I thought that would be too much red color, aesthetically. I like the soft black wheel look with the full red shell.

Georgie/Larry ... I'm genuinely happy to have tracked down your set, and given it a little t.l.c. for future generations. Not just me and my kids, but perhaps beyond!

I'm sure lots of guys here on the forum (myself included) would be happy to coach you and your buddy through an Ives rehab. Start a thread, post some pics, etc.

Fel ... nothing fancy for the track ... cheap O27. (New, though ... not old.)

Cheers!

TJ

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gents,

Simply put, I'm beginning to feel like the Cat Lady. Every town has one ... that crazy old lady who lives in the ratty house with the overgrown bushes, the lady who takes in all of the neighborhood stray cats ... the mangled ones, the one-eyed ones, the chewed-off tail ones. She's got about 100 of the creatures living all throughout her house. She leaves opened cans of tuna fish and cat food everywhere, and the entire house, yard, and neighborhood block stink with that strange smell. People don't really talk to the Cat Lady ... they're afraid to go into the house ... but they all know she's in there, feeding cats, stepping in their poop, and letting those feline creatures rule the roost.

Well ... it's happened ... I have become the Cat Lady.

Not actually with cats, mind you, but rather with old Lionel 1681 / 1681E locos. 1934/35 vintage. Somehow, more and more of these things keep showing up at my doorstep. Reluctantly, I keep taking them in (who else will?), and then they keep following me around my house, wherever I go. They're needy. And whiny. And they leave little bits of rust, chipped-off paint, and globs of grease all over the place. I try to ignore them, but they're persistent little pests. "Clean me!" "Fix me!" "Paint me!" Whine, whine, whine.

Well, I tried to be extra-special nice to the first two or three that showed up. I spent quite a bit of time nursing them back to health, and getting them looking quite presentable. Pretty, actually. The back-alley tomcat looks were all gone. But don't let their looks deceive you ... in their hearts, they were still alley cats. And at night, they meowed and moaned to all of their alley cat friends. "Hey ... head over here! This place is great! TJ will take you in, give you a warm place to rest, and clean you up!"

And like having a cat in heat, all of the other alley cats came charging my way. And now, I'm embarrased to go out. Embarrased to socialize. It's just me and my dirty, stinky, oily 1681's. I am the crazy Cat Lady.

My latest "adopted" 1681E is part of a 1055E freight set that was recently seen lurking on eBay. I tried to ignore it. I tried to resist the dreaded temptation. I took my medication and prayed that the demons would go away.

But, nooo ....

Stupid me sent the seller a note, telling him that I had taken in a few other 1681's. The seller turned out to be Larry / Georgieboytraveler2, who's now a new member here on the forum. We chatted a bit, I told him my sad story. He really didn't want to take care of the 1681E and its 1055E-set friends himself, and asked if I might want to take them in. Clean them. Fix them. Give them a warm home, and all that. And ...

I'm the Cat Lady ... how could I refuse?

And so, please allow me to introduce you to my latest adopted orphans ... 1681E loco (#4 for me) and his 1055E freight set friends.

Please send help ... and tuna fish ...

TJ

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have collected trains for years, recently move and most on my trains went to my kids, about 5 refrigerator boxes full. Down to 1 standard gauge and my dads 1681. Need help, I want to clean this up at least for display. missing parts, diagrams ect. Where can I locate information on drawings and parts. May want to get running but will most likely ever run. As I remember went off the track all the time. That's why has a few bends, chips and missing parts. My guess is that lots of mods have been done to these over the years.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Welcome. The attached pdf is the Lionel service manual for the 1681E. Essentially, the first page pictorial (below) and three pages of parts lists.

Many parts for prewar locos are available at ttender.com. If you're unsure about a part, email [email protected]. He's very knowledgeable and will know if certain parts are listed under different numbers.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the help Did they make without drive rods. Mine does not have and wheels do not have drilled hubs to mount. Have hubs non drilled on front wheels. may have been replaced in 85 years

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Hi Chuck,

Just seeing your post re: interest in cleaning up your 1681. My condolences ... it is an addiction, and there is no cure!

Ping me with any questions. These all came with drive rods ... single piece on each side, attached to the rear wheel with a little peened-over stud. I've used screws (rather then the peen) on most of my restorations. Jeff Kane at ttdender.com will have most of the parts you may need. Sounds like your wheels are backwards. Hubs go in rear. 4 unique wheels: with and without hub, but no gears; and with and without hubs with gears.

Happy to help with advice. Have fun!
TJ

·
Registered
6 Posts
really mess up , I think the wheels have even been changed front to back. I want to display next to my std gauge unit. As most people I remember the JR. set under my tree, my father always did a Christmas garden. with 4 or 5 other trains. I followed with my kids as many as 12 sets at a time running but never got the Jr up and running, just display. My son now has most of the trains but only runs 4 or 5 sets, rest remain in about 3 refrigerator size boxes. May be a lot of work and cost in bring this back to any reasonable display condition. I would like a nice not perfect engine are their any available from your orphanage ? I do not like perfection just nice maybe even usable at least for display. To give you an idea I drive old Corvairs and Cadillac Allante as daily drivers.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Based off the condition I bought mine in back in the 90’s its a safe bet the wheels were replaced...mine delaminated.

Do you have the missing pilot truck? Goes under the pilot (cow catcher)?

All things being equal, provided there’s nothing wrong with the 3rd rail pickup or the motor, that will run that way as the siderods are visual only.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Based off the condition I bought mine in back in the 90’s its a safe bet the wheels were replaced...mine delaminated.

Do you have the missing pilot truck? Goes under the pilot (cow catcher)?

All things being equal, provided there’s nothing wrong with the 3rd rail pickup or the motor, that will run that way as the siderods are visual only.
lots of parts missing, no I will need to order front trucks , bell, headlight. The pickup is 90% missing. May just look for better unit for display.

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
You can switch those wheels ... swap back to front, and front to back. Grab them and gently twist back and forth while pulling outboard. Repeat. My guess is that they will show some signs of movement, and either slide off the axle, or pull the axel off of the wheel on the other side. Either way, you can do the swap.

·
Registered
87 Posts
All I have is a boiler and cylinders that came with a Marx lot I got ages ago. The size is pretty interesting - I plunked it on an American Flyer S Gauge chassis and thought, "Durn, that looks pretty good..." S gauge tinplate? Hmm...

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
All I have is a boiler and cylinders that came with a Marx lot I got ages ago. The size is pretty interesting - I plunked it on an American Flyer S Gauge chassis and thought, "Durn, that looks pretty good..." S gauge tinplate? Hmm...
Yes, Marx was like 1/64 scale.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts