Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

Alright ... maybe it's just me, and the fact that I'm spending too much time thinking about toy trains and not enough time wining and dining my wife. Chemical changes must be taking place, and I've been prone to unexpected (and uninvited) bouts of PFL -- Premature Forum Logout ...

You know ... those embarrasing times where you Login to the Forum, go to a Thread, and then start compiling a post or reply. But while you're collecting your thoughts and all that, and finally finish what you're writing, you go to hit the Submit button only to find out that you've been unceremoniously logged OUT of the Forum. Done. Finito. Everyone else is sitting there "smoking a cigarette", and you're stuck there just ... well ... left out in the cold!

So (and seriously) ... is there a way to change my settings somehow such that my default "inactive logout time" (or whatever it's called) is longer that what it is now? After all ... longer is better!

TJ

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think the default for vBulletin forums is to boot out anyone from Rhode Island every 30 mins.

Never had this problem. (What I can suggest is right before you post, select everything you written and right-click on your mouse and choose copy). This way if this ever happened again, you can easily just right-click and choose paste to bring it all back
:)

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I have found that occurs when I do the following:
1. Get on the site for a while
2. Do something else that takes some time, while not closing the forum site page
3. Come back and re-open the window OR open the site in a new window but forget to log on
4. Followed by typing, submitting, and cursing as I go back and id myself. And retype.

Fortunately, if you use the back-up (previous screen) arrow, you can recapture what you lost, copy it, and then post it after signing in, again.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
One more thing about the site that truly puzzles me. Everything posted above is in a nice, neat column, easy to read and so on. Once in a while, though, I'll hit a thread that doesn't have the same width. I might read two or three new posts with the normal width, then I hit one that runs off the 'page' to the right and have to scroll across to continue reading it, eventually doubling back to the next line. It's not a change I'm making, because the next post I read is back down in the column, again.

This perplexes me. Any thoughts on what causes it?

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey ... Hey ... take it EASY on RI ... I'll have you know that our little state cultivates some of the very best corrupt politicians out there!

Tankist ... good call on the "remember me" toggle ... I haven't been using that, but I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

For sure, I've been Ctrl-C copying my long posts-in-progress before I submit. I do that with lots of other computer stuff, too ... I've been bit in the butt too many times, and finally gat that little trick drilled into my head.

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One more thing about the site that truly puzzles me. Everything posted above is in a nice, neat column, easy to read and so on. Once in a while, though, I'll hit a thread that doesn't have the same width. I might read two or three new posts with the normal width, then I hit one that runs off the 'page' to the right and have to scroll across to continue reading it, eventually doubling back to the next line. It's not a change I'm making, because the next post I read is back down in the column, again.

This perplexes me. Any thoughts on what causes it?
Haven't seen that one ... I'll let you know if I do.:confused:

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Gents,

Alright ... maybe it's just me, and the fact that I'm spending too much time thinking about toy trains and not enough time wining and dining my wife. Chemical changes must be taking place, and I've been prone to unexpected (and uninvited) bouts of PFL -- Premature Forum Logout ...

You know ... those embarrasing times where you Login to the Forum, go to a Thread, and then start compiling a post or reply. But while you're collecting your thoughts and all that, and finally finish what you're writing, you go to hit the Submit button only to find out that you've been unceremoniously logged OUT of the Forum. Done. Finito. Everyone else is sitting there "smoking a cigarette", and you're stuck there just ... well ... left out in the cold!

So (and seriously) ... is there a way to change my settings somehow such that my default "inactive logout time" (or whatever it's called) is longer that what it is now? After all ... longer is better!

TJ
Ironic...when I play with trains, I think about wining and dining your wife!:D

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now, now, boys ... take it easy ...

So, Reckers ... here's the deal. You're welcome to wine/dine my wife ... with just one provision: She likes the White Horse Tavern here in RI. She's all yours, buddy ... but ya' better dust off that Platinum American Express card befor you head out ... you'll need it!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
LOL, this is not an automotive forum.

Regarding the login/logout stuff... What everyone else said :)

Also, should you ever find yourself in that situation, just hit the back button to get to your post, it still should be there. That might be browser dependent though.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Now, now, boys ... take it easy ...

So, Reckers ... here's the deal. You're welcome to wine/dine my wife ... with just one provision: She likes the White Horse Tavern here in RI. She's all yours, buddy ... but ya' better dust off that Platinum American Express card befor you head out ... you'll need it!
There's room for compromise, here. How about if I take her to White Castle, then horse around with some wine? :laugh:

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
No need for a cure. They're only premature if accompanied by solid or liquid discharge. That's avoided by the employing the restricted orifice (provided by manufacturer) in an effective manner. This should be accompanied by a thoughtfully-distracted expression and then rapid departure from the locale. In milatary parlance, with A-O referring to area of operations, you "Un-*** the AO" immediately after emission. Tankist, how does armor handle the confined-space aspect of this problem?

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jeez Louise ...

I started this thread, but I'm wondering if I can declare it Officially Closed?!? (Else true gentlemen run the risk of degenerating further !!!)

Not that I'm not prone to bouts of PFL myself, mind you ...

TJ

·
Registered
356 Posts
a couple things from other forums I have been involved with in the past.

1. Reckers - the strange arrangement of columns may be do to some pics being larger than the normal width. with everyone running on different size screens, this may affect people with smaller screens more than others

2. most forums have a time frame in which it automatically logs you out... I have only been involved in one that allowed you to adjust this time frame or get rid of it all together. the only real full proof way to beat this is to do what t-man said and copy what you typed prior to posting it... that way if you do get logged out, you can go back to where you were and paste it.

I don't know if either of these are the cases on this site as I am new to it, but that is my experience on other forums. hope that this helps someone out.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts