Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a rather long wait (FedEx misplaced the set for five days), this wonderful set arrived. It was packaged by an expert. It was boxed, protected by a double layer of styrofoam, and in a second box and again wrapped with a protective layer of soft foam wrap. When the box was opened, all the chessmen were again wrapped in foam and tape. WOW! I think it may have been bullet-proof. The set is exquisite! The pieces have nice weight, but don't quite feel like triple weight. The knights are premium. The carving was done by a true craftsman (person). This was my most expensive chess set, and will probably become my favorite. The board was not included with the set, and the squares are a trifle small (2.2 inches), but I can live with it. The most important thing to me was that it was made of bud rosewood to go with the chessmen. Also, because it is borderless, it fits my table perfectly.

CA22F4EA-A335-43BB-B079-F15CBA92865D_1_201_a.jpg

BBE2066D-EE45-440F-BC14-961A7EB03612_1_201_a.jpg

C003C00F-1699-415D-A882-DE639CD0BED2.jpeg

116C1A3B-BE9E-4534-A070-41637BF4059E.jpeg

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,725 Posts
Nice, I love the horses. :):thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Very nice!

And the best news is, if you need money someday, you can pawn it.....:)

·
Registered
8,757 Posts
Nice set, and nice board. Wpnderful fit to your table, too!!

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,725 Posts

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sure look like horses!!!!:p
You got it Ed! The Knights, in chess are often depicted as just horses, without a rider. In fact, this is most often the case. There are some Florentine sets that have a rider on horseback. Also, the rook, or castle is just a castle turret. The Florentine set uses an elephant with a castle turret on it's back.

CC5156CE-70A6-458A-BC71-C521BCF4C22C.jpg

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,725 Posts
I guess you play a lot?
How do you find opponents to play against?

Years ago I went out and got this as you play against the machine.
Play where ever you want, I bring it in the truck to play when I have to wait to load or unload. :)

I had it for a while.
Don't know if the picture will show the words, it says,
RADIO SHACK Portable 1750L
64 Level Chess Computer
Endorsed by Garry Kasparov (At the time) was the world champion.

Nothing like yours at all, but it is nice if you don't have anyone to play against.

P1010025.JPG

P1010026.JPG

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ed, just now, I am teaching my grand children. So, opponents are rather scarce. I am hoping to develop enough interest with the kids to have future games off interest.

This all began a few months ago when I came upon a chess set like one I had as a child. It is a Kingsway Florentine set. I purchased it for nostalgia, and then started looking at what was out there for sale. Well, the race was on for me, Bob, the eternal collector.

I now have a Kingsway set for each of the grand children and a few more, just because there were so many nice varieties that I had never known about.

Then came the boards, the wooden carved sets, the metal sets. I have one set I bought back in the sixties. It is extruded aluminum, designed by Austin Cox, and manufactured by Alcoa. The asking prices for this particular set can range up to fifteen hundred bucks. I don't know if they sell, but someone is asking that much. I think I paid about $79 for it from JC Penney back in the day.

7723EC8D-10B6-46D5-8B87-06D856B0ECE4_1_201_a.jpg

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
You got it Ed! The Knights, in chess are often depicted as just horses, without a rider. In fact, this is most often the case. There are some Florentine sets that have a rider on horseback. Also, the rook, or castle is just a castle turret. The Florentine set uses an elephant with a castle turret on it's back.

View attachment 518286
Bob, I remember white on the right for the squares and queen on her color for the pieces.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Queen always on her color, light queen, light square, dark queen, dark square. Right or left is just perspective on which side of the board you are viewing the game from.

·
Registered
885 Posts
BobS, during this season of gift giving please share where you purchased this set so for those of us intererested in giving one to a chess fan we know we'll be able to buy it as the "perfect" gift.
Thank you.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I purchased it from House of Chess (Pleasant Time Industries), through Amazon. There are many sets available from this seller, and they also sell on eBay and their own site. When you begin to search, both at Amazon and eBay, you will find many sites and sellers available. There are many carved, wooden sets available. The detail put into the knight will cause the price to rise. Also, the type of wood used varies the cost. Ebony and Bud Rosewood are the most expensive.

There many sets available on eBay. I have great fun just looking at them. I think the best sets come from India, but that is just an opinion. There are some fine sets available in plastic, with good detail and weight for under a hundred bucks. Good luck in your hunt. And feel free to ask me any questions. I don't pretend to be an expert, but I have had some experience in buying these, and might be able to offer some opinions or suggestions.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
"Right or left is just perspective on which side of the board you are viewing the game from."

No Bob, it is not. Look at the picture you posted in #12. The right hand rook in not on white. The board is 90 degrees off. Also, look at the Queen, wrong color. If you are going to teach your grandkids to play at least make sure they know how to setup a board.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"Right or left is just perspective on which side of the board you are viewing the game from."

No Bob, it is not. Look at the picture you posted in #12. The right hand rook in not on white. The board is 90 degrees off. Also, look at the Queen, wrong color. If you are going to teach your grandkids to play at least make sure they know how to setup a board.
You are absolutely correct. I lifted the picture off eBay because I liked the color and style of the set. I did notice the mistake when I first saw it, but then forgot about it when I posted it here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts