Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been over 5 years that I have been looking to add Weaver Brass Southern Tennessean to my collection of Southern Steam Engines. Three weeks ago I pulled the trigger on purchasing this engine. For those that are Southern Railroad Fans, this is a very sought after and collectible engine. Weaver only made 274 of these engines in 3 rail and only a few in 2 rail. I can't say it's rare model but it's very hard to find. I lost several auctions over the years in trying to obtain this one, but I have also passed on making the purchase for this engine due high cost and not so good condition of the engine up for bid.

Taking the engine out of the box the for first time I found this engine to be more impressive than any photo that I have seen for this model. It has the older QSI electronics, but I plan to have it upgraded in the near future. This engine had only been test run and is in excellent condition. It came from a Train Store on the West cost which made my purchase more reassuring. My video below gives a brief history of the real engine and the model running.

Looking back, the hunt for this engine has been fun but disappointing at times. In loosing several auctions, I honestly thought I would never have this engine in my collection. My thought at one point is if I ever make a trip to York, I might find it there. However, I realize the "Hunt" can be part of the fun of this hobby especially the gratification that comes after looking for something you want for a long time!

This leads me to the question...how long you have searched for something that you have wanted?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

P

·
0 Posts
Beautiful passenger train steamer, Ken. I loved your story about the hunt for this engine. Most of us have been there, done that.

Must make you feel terrific. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
That is one incredibly cool locomotive, and well worth the wait. I love its lines.

I've looked for various locos I want from time to time but most often if I see one for sale I just buy it. A couple of times I didn't, and it was sold and I didn't find another for a long time, so now, its "Buy Now!"

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've looked for various locos I want from time to time but most often if I see one for sale I just buy it. A couple of times I didn't, and it was sold and I didn't find another for a long time, so now, its "Buy Now!"

You are absolutely correct, Lee! The first time I saw this engine up for bid, I failed to snag it! I regretted it terribly over and over again! I did not see another one for a long time after that. As the old saying goes..."You snooze, You Loose!"

Thank you everyone for your comments!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Congratulations on your find--sounds like it was worth the wait. I agree, the "hunt" is part of the fun. This may sound odd, but I find myself enjoying the "hunt" more than the "have."

We should all remember what Confucius says:

"The best time to buy a toy train is when you see it."

John

C

·
0 Posts
Congratulations on the new locomotive. It's an unusual but very attractive streamlined steam engine.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Congas on your new engine. Very cool looking and it all comes down to the thrill of the hunt. I'm always on the hunt.:D

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Ken,

Congrats on your find and purchase. I am sure you get many years of enjoyment running her.

Kinda wish you would have left your amazing Christmas layout up a few weeks longer. :D

ENJOY... you earned it. :appl:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you, Jim. The Christmas Layout would make it nice to run this engine around right now. The temperatures outside sure make it feel like Christmas still. But I will be definitely running this engine on my 2019 Christmas Layout.

P

·
0 Posts
"But I will be definitely running this engine on my 2019"

It will be here before we know it, Ken. :)

You do such an outstanding job with your Chritsmas layouts. Something for all of us to look forward to.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"But I will be definitely running this engine on my 2019"

It will be here before we know it, Ken. :)

You do such an outstanding job with your Chritsmas layouts. Something for all of us to look forward to.

Thank you, Brian. I always appreciate your kind comments.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wow, what a catch.... The sounds are also very nice....
Now the next question is, What is next ? ;)
There is always something you want but I don't have much burning at me anymore after this engine purchase. That mostly has to deal with I am at that saturation point with no more space to put more train items. However, if there is something new in a catalog I like, I probably will find space for it somewhere!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts