Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The MTH website is in my opinion one of the best things about MTH. You can find info on just about everything they have ever made, search for a product using a variety of criteria, see catalogs, manuals, download sound files, find service centers, etc.

I will definitely miss it next May and I was wondering if there is a way to save at least part of it. Obviously, stuff like shopping would be disabled. I don’t really have a clue how much it costs to host and maintain a website like that, but I imagine there are many MTH fans that would be willing to pay a small annual amount to have the site available. Maybe have something that requires a paid subscription and a log on.

Not sure how the new DCS company would figure into this. They would most likely object to having anything about DCS on a site they do not control.

Anyone else wondering about this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with you 100% on needing a backup. One of the more important things to me is all the sound files. The problem is, that they are often cryptically named, so sure, I can download the 100+ engine files I own, and hand rename them, but again for service and repair support, if the website goes away, it's a massive crisis for ongoing repair and maintenance support. It looks like we might be able to do this using open source tools- probably need a decent sized hard drive of a few TB given all the files and just shear amount of pages. HTTrack Website Copier - Free Software Offline Browser (GNU GPL)

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
It is a troubling issue. In this day and age, with the amount of data, material and knowledge needed to operate these trains, they are simply pulling the plug.

Perhaps something similar to the K-Line site will emerge. I am sure people will save and share bits and pieces, but the ”one stop shopping” conveniences of the MTH site will no longer be with us.

Maybe someone, thinking outside of the box, will figure out a way to preserve the information. It will not be easy, I am sure.

Personally, I steer clear of MTH locomotive products now. With the possible absence of technical support in the future, I feel Lionel and Atlas are better alternatives...at least as long as TMCC/Legacy remains a supported product.

Tom

Reactions: gpritch

·
Registered
462 Posts
Personally, I steer clear of MTH locomotive products now. With the possible absence of technical support in the future, I feel Lionel and Atlas are better alternatives...at least as long as TMCC/Legacy remains a supported product.

Tom
Yeah, I agree. I've purchased quite a few passenger cars and have more preordered. I'll still buy their rolling stock. No more MTH locomotives for me. I have quite a few (all diesels). I'm going to sell off some of the lesser used engines this winter. Morale is low!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Wow Tom. I run conventional so does this apply to me, and Lee? I don't exactly know why hobbyists are so enamored with the technology side. When I first got into the hobby I had no idea. I put up my 1st layout, I electrified it, and the locomotive came to life. I heard crew talk, sounds like horn and brakes screeching on those trains and thought "wow!". I can not imagine needing extra options although I get it. Once the ability to do multiple trains at various speeds exist, it seems a natural to want to go that route.

I have a lot of MTH locomotives as I am loyal to them over the other options.

But I run conventional. So am I screwed if a train does not operate as intended? I have PS1, old single motor Lionel, Williams, K Line and Atlas and they all seem to run.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
... But I run conventional. So am I screwed if a train does not operate as intended? I have PS1, old single motor Lionel, Williams, K Line and Atlas and they all seem to run.
Fear not, if your PS1 electronics die you can always bypass them and have a forward only locomotive. Or add a Williams electronic reverse board for F-N-R and whistle/Horn. You'll lose the crew talk, etc, but your train will still run.

The issue is both MTH and Lionel have proprietary systems. Compare that to the DCC system (mostly HO). An open standard with lots of vendors and interoperable electronics.

I believe the prewar and postwar trains will outlive the highly complex modern trains. The old stuff will mostly run forever with a bit of maintenance. Once the new stuff has a problem with the electronics, it's a fortune to repair, if, parts are still available. With MTH exiting the hobby, it's doubtful they will be for that line. And Lionel doesn't have a full stock of parts for some of it's older modern trains.

Having said that, I've seen some videos of the latest Locomotives with all the features. I can see why some modelers pony up big bucks to have them They are impressively realistic. Here's an example:

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Bryan, I am not really sure what you are saying, but I am speaking of MTH generally in the way of electronics, yes, but also about parts like wheels and couplers, or many other parts and data, such as parts diagrams, that will not be available In the future.

I guess if MTH Engines will run conventional with a blown board, should that happen, you are okay. I really don’t know that much about the technology, just that certain basic functions still rely on electronics that may not be available in the future.

I have many MTH engines too. I would much prefer they stay in business or hand off the technology to another entity, but that appears to not be happening.

I am not a huge fan of any device like the DCC or Legacy. I may end up running strictly conventional when I get a layout going. That was always a possibility as I hate “crew talk”...😉

Tom

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
MTH engines are well built. If you don't drop them on the floor the mechanics should outlast most all of us.
Pete

·
Registered
124 Posts
MTH engines are well built. If you don't drop them on the floor the mechanics should outlast most all of us.
Pete
This 100 times this.

People are always complaining that when electronics die modern trains are useless. No they are not. Change them to currently available command electronics, stick a regular reverse unit in them, or put in a rectifier and run forward only. Modern train mechanicals are fine, more robust than any postwar stuff. Modern stuff will run for 1000s of hours with grease and oil. Postwar stuff would be worn out by that point or need a major overhaul (brushes, cleaning, etc.) Please stop with the "modern trains are junk when the boards die" posts.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
This 100 times this.

People are always complaining that when electronics die modern trains are useless. No they are not. Change them to currently available command electronics, stick a regular reverse unit in them, or put in a rectifier and run forward only. Modern train mechanicals are fine, more robust than any postwar stuff. Modern stuff will run for 1000s of hours with grease and oil. Postwar stuff would be worn out by that point or need a major overhaul (brushes, cleaning, etc.) Please stop with the "modern trains are junk when the boards die" posts.
I agree and disagree. Yes, if the electronics stuff dies with no replacement, they're easily converted to a version of conventional (or some open system like DCC) See my post #7. . But when the can motors brushes go, you need to replace the whole motor. And that's only possible if there's an equivalent replacement. I've seen prewar trains that have been running so long, it's wheels have a significant groove from rolling on the track. Similar to older versus newer cars. The older cars need routine maintenance on points, plugs, rotors, etc. But what happens when a new car's computer dies and there's no equivalent replacement?

But the biggest reason I disagree is heirs. It doesn't work. Throw it out. Whether that's a failure or operator error - unable to figure out the command system, the dead battery, etc. Where as most pre/postwar trains after two wire connections will give at least an inkling or more that they'll work and be nostalgic and fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts