Model Train Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Yard Master & Research
11,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Big Ed started a thread on Post War cars, so I tried to join in and gathered my Giraffe cars with a little video.
Well the best laid plans never work out on how you want them. Using the three cars I had two Giraffe's. who preferred the clean air to dipping. What is going on?

Let's explore and take the shell off.

Motor vehicle Yellow Grass Wood Leisure

For a parts review, the frame, Giraffe and Counter Weight, Locking Pin. Spring, and Cam Follower. Cam Follower also has a Pin. The track side has the Cam Plate Assembly.

The action description. At rest the Giraffe rides high, the counter weight and the Cam follower ( at the outside contact surface is low}. The spring side of the Cam Follower is High.
Next the cam follower arm is lifted by the Cam Assembly. The Spring side drops along with the Giraffe. The Counter Weight raises to High.
After passing the Cam Follower the Arm drops. The Spring side raises the GIraffe

What is happening in the picture? The Spring is not stretching and the side of the car is being lifted.

What to do? The shell will add to the weight but in the second car it is still tipped. The ideal place to add weight is along the top next to the Cam Follower on the inside.

Light Wood Mesh Fence Line

Now the weight.

Vertebrate Giraffidae Light Product Horse

We are not done yet. How did we get here? Spring tension is the key. In my third car the spring tension is heavy enough to raise the Giraffe and light enough not to raise the side of the car.
The other two need more tension to raise the GIraffe after the dip.

The spring on those cars were adjusted to raise the Griraffe after a dip with minimum tension. Going one loop at a time to raise the head.
The tension is definitely greater than what is used on the third car.

Other factors to consider. The pin for the Giraffee and counterweight must be a polishedh surface and oiled.
The Cam Follower pin should also be the same but is not easily removable so it was just oiled.
One last factor is the spring height on the frame side. The lower the spring the more tension needed to lift the Cam Follower and the GIraffe. So if the height was increased that angle would require less tension to raise it.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
A unit trains of these cars all working is very much fun to watch. Also pick up broken ones and replaced the giraffe head with other animals. I believe Lionel has done a few of those also.

Pete

·
Yard Master & Research
11,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So what happened over tie to disrupt the action. Lubrication is old. Metal pins tarnish? The spring stretches?

The giraffe is cute :)
They have been in storage for a long time. I did tinker with number three recently. The spring condition is common and I have seen white corrosion on the pins.
This Cam Assembly is modern and plastic. It is part of a reindeer car. These cars were fixed and in poor condition. One head was wrecked and required cleaning.
First I will add weight and later replace the springs.

Another note for the Cam Follower is to order two band springs for the ends, Same spring used in the handle of the 1033 etc. The Part Number is 1011-100 Compression RIng.

·
Yard Master & Research
11,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The weight worked for the first car with 1.5 oz/35g. Car number 2 had a non standard spring and required 3 oz/70g to work correctly and not lift the frame.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts