Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran into some difficulty recently when it came to soldering Atlas flex track on my layout. My calculations were a little off, so the track was a bit short & I wanted to fix it. I have a roll of solder wick except its in storage, so I bought a desoldering bulb/turkey baster. I'm currently using a desoldering method I found online, using stranded wire & flux. This seems to work although I'd prefer to have the proper tools. I haven't been to every Home Depot or Lowes in the city, but they seem to have everything else except for desoldering tools. I'll visit another Home Depot soon, before I end up going to the hobby shop to buy a soldering kit for with everything I need or don't need, as I already have 2 soldering irons one I'm using & another in storage. I can understand having 2 soldering irons at each end of a layout to use, but having 3 irons seems to be a bit much.
Thanks
http://hobbywholesale.com/product/756619010632/soldering-tool-kit

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi GN.
They still have Radio Shack here in Canada just under the name The Source, but the stores have pretty much turned into Apple stores where everything is blue tooth connected etc. I did go to Home Depot to buy a different kind of flux, rosin flux I think its called. I don't know if plumber's flux is ideal for model railroads.

Thanks

·
Registered
227 Posts
Flux is the key, and yes, stay away from Plumbers flux. It is acid based. The proper flux is rosin based.

If you happen to be into either Ham or CB radio, a scrap piece of RG58 coax could do for a wick. The shielding of that wire is an excellent substitute for solder wick. A tip from a technician I worked with at a radio shop taught me this one.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I bought some de-soldering braid recently from eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5M-1PC-3-5mm-Desoldering-Braid-Solder-Remover-Wick-Wire-Repair-Tool-FSHN/292816346019?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Please note: You will NOT get a big ole roll of the stuff for 99c! That would be nice, but it ain't gonna happen! What you will get is a small roll of it, such as in the 6th pic. I ordered 5 of them and they actually gave me a small discount. Took a few weeks to get here, but for free shipping I can't complain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts