Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of material would I use for HO scale realistic snow?

I know not many of us model winter scenes, but my layout is supposed to represent something at a higher elevation and the mountains could use some realistic looking snow.

Any ideas or experience modeling this stuff realistically?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Baking Soda, providing you keep it dry. It will get dusty and grey over time, but so will any other ‘snow’. With baking soda, just sprinkle another light dusting and you’re back looking good, or, vacuum it up and start over.

I use Woodland Scenics ‘snow’ in a shaker bottle. It covers well, so one bottle will cover maybe 6 square feet to a depth of about 1/8”.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Well with the Festive Holiday coming soon..see Walmart:laugh::laugh....Spray flock is readily available between $5-$7 a can and you can find it at Hobby Lobby and Home
Depot as well....How much coverage are you doing on the Mountain and trees if any?

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eight or nine feet if I get these mountains finished. Anything in a spray can sounds like a mess waiting to happen.

I'll check out the Woodland Scenics product.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
W/S snow

Eight or nine feet if I get these mountains finished. Anything in a spray can sounds like a mess waiting to happen.

I'll check out the Woodland Scenics product.

Thanks for the help.
MichaelE;

I have some of the Woodland Scenics snow. It was given to me, I don't buy much from W/S since about everything the sell is grossly overpriced! :rippedhand:
Their snow product looks to me like sanded Styrofoam cranked up to W/S high prices. If you have access to a bench sander you could make all the snow you would ever want for almost no cost.
Other than high cost, there is nothing wrong with W/S snow. If you don't need much, and don't want to make your own, then the W/S stuff should work well for you.

Another winter scenery item I like is Tamiya paint's "Flat Base." It makes great frost effects. It's a paste in a bottle and you just brush a little on with an artist's brush. At first it goes on clear, but as it dries, it turns a dead flat white color that looks a lot like frost on windows or wherever you want it. It can also be brushed onto ties to represent new-fallen light snow.

have fun;

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
The snow I use is almost as heavy in its shaker bottle as are the ‘cinders from WS, except the cinders are black. The snow is not styrofoam, but is gritty, maybe glass or an inert compound...not sure.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I might experiment with several things. THe WS snow sounds interesting, but I want to see the texture before application. The baking soda sounds like it would be the closest to snow with as fine as it is, bbut a mess to apply unless I just shake it on and leave it alone and keep it out of any drafts.

It would vacuum up too if I wanted to replace it or eliminate it altogether.

I'm going to browse some You Tube videos and see if I can find any railroads using various materials.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts