Model Train Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've stepped away from the hobby a bit, due to other interests and don't spend as much time in it as I used to. But I still make an occasional pass over the now 3 O scale forums that are best known to me which are Brian Vaill's new O Gauge Forum, the OGR, and this one. FWIW, here's what I've observed over the past few weeks.

As pointed out in other threads on this forum, Brian's new O Gauge Forum appears to have an excessive amount of unrealistic back-slapping and glad-handing. Maybe this is typical of a new forum start-up. But why not keep it real? Most hobbyists don't join a model train forum to become "best friends." You just can't do that on an online forum, but they act like they can. Common interests in the hobby? Sure. But best friends because of it? Probably not.

On the first page of the Main O Gauge Board, Brian started 10 of the 40 subjects listed. In his thread, "Thanks for Again Making the OGF #1." Well, number 1 out of what?

And I don't care if Classic Toy Trains is their "platinum sponsor." This new forum should not be using Union Pacific's shield without permission.

Then there's the OGR. Nothing much really changes over there. Still the same old Gestapo-type moderation, and don't say anything negative about their sponsors' products.

Now this one, in the O scale section only. It's had its ups and downs, but soldiers on and continues to cover a wide array of topics in the hobby with useful threads and posts. True, after awhile (4 years for me on this forum) they get a little repetitious. But at least are still useful to those just coming into the forum or who are new to the hobby.

Even with GRJ's sometimes "wise guy" responses to certain things, he still does a good overall job as moderator in the O scale section.

So my pick out of the 3 is still this forum. So, "IMUA!" (forever forward)

·
Registered
8,696 Posts
I agree with everything you say. That new forum is to say the least rather strange in its self-congratulatory, because we're us we are the best, way, but if it please them, or at least Brian and Emile, them fine. They aren't here, which I prefer to the sturm and drang they caused.

Regardless of whether it is the "best' O-Gauge forum or not, it is the best for me, which is all I really care about. And the added bonus of all the other scales here too, is just phenomenal. I love that, too.

·
Registered
208 Posts
All they did here was fake backslapping and Brown nosing. It was to the point of being repulsive

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
MTF is #1 in my book. It has almost everything I look for in a model train forum. News and pics of new products or new acquisitions, technical assistance, scenery ideas, newbies (part of the fun for me is being able to help others on occasion), frank product reviews.

OGR is #2. It has similar features as MTF, but I do feel constrained when I post there. Probably has more people that can offer technical assist, but none better than GRJ. If you want to sell something, OGR is the place due to more traffic.

OGF is #3. I liked Brian and Emile a lot. I enjoyed their posts and I enjoyed seeing them at York. I like them less after the sturm and drang they created here. I sometimes wonder if it was contrived, just to win more folks over to OGF. I joined OGF to maintain contact with some of the guys that left here, but at this point, there aren’t enough people contributing to make it a go to forum for me.

·
Registered
7,814 Posts
Personally, I don't think we need to compare ourselves to anyone, or any other forum.....MTF is the best there is, in all scales, for all people. :thumbsup:

Period......

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have gotten a lot out of my participation in the various forums in spite of the disruptions that are bound to occur. I visit all of them, usually daily.

Because of the OGR forum, I have met a lot of train friends that I wouldn't have met otherwise. I enjoy the photos, technical help, and the buy/sell features.

This forum appears to be settling back down to what it was before all the ruckus that happened. That is a good thing that has caused me to want to participate again. My reasons for dropping out were misrepresented by one of the departed individuals for their own purposes and rather than drag things out, I chose to find better ways to spend my time.

I'm tempted to join the new one, but haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet. I check it to see how things are going though. So far I do not enjoy the tone of things and have no desire to get in the middle of it. I have a low tolerance for some of the childish comments and statements being made.

There seems to be a calm atmosphere here that is conducive to discussing trains and that is a very good thing in my view. If I want drama, I will go somewhere else.

Art

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
LOL, Brian states that they are number one in auto postings. Pretty sure nothing compares on any train forum to Lee's weekly history lesson in autos world wide.

Bill

·
Registered
482 Posts
Although I am familiar with a number of German words that describe emotions, for those like me who needed some help with Lee's post, here you are:

Definition of Sturm und Drang. 1 : a late 18th century German literary movement characterized by works containing rousing action and high emotionalism that often deal with the individual's revolt against society. 2 : turmoil.

·
Registered
6,265 Posts
I have gotten a lot out of my participation in the various forums in spite of the disruptions that are bound to occur. I visit all of them, usually daily.

Because of the OGR forum, I have met a lot of train friends that I wouldn't have met otherwise. I enjoy the photos, technical help, and the buy/sell features.

This forum appears to be settling back down to what it was before all the ruckus that happened. That is a good thing that has caused me to want to participate again. My reasons for dropping out were misrepresented by one of the departed individuals for their own purposes and rather than drag things out, I chose to find better ways to spend my time.

I'm tempted to join the new one, but haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet. I check it to see how things are going though. So far I do not enjoy the tone of things and have no desire to get in the middle of it. I have a low tolerance for some of the childish comments and statements being made.

There seems to be a calm atmosphere here that is conducive to discussing trains and that is a very good thing in my view. If I want drama, I will go somewhere else.

Art
Art; first of all it's good to see you back here. I've missed your posts and photos of that beautiful layout of yours.
I'm only on this forum and throughly enjoy it. I do check OGR on the 1st of the month to see updates on Eliot's layout (Bigboy4005). That's the huge layout in Mn. However he hasn't posted in 2 months and I'm wondering if he's ok?

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Spence, Eliot had stated a week or so ago that he is having issues with his hands that is slowing things down on the layout and preventing him from posting much.

Bill

·
Registered
870 Posts
I have gotten a lot out of my participation in the various forums in spite of the disruptions that are bound to occur...
This forum appears to be settling back down to what it was before all the ruckus that happened. That is a good thing that has caused me to want to participate again....

Art
Welcome back, Art, Missed your postings and feared you'd permanenly left MTF but glad to learn that's not the case.
Hope that others who ceased posting during the turbulent times you stopped will likewise eventually return because not only is this forum informative and helpful, but as you say, it has an atmosphere conducive to our fabulous hobby.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
... new O Gauge Forum appears to have an excessive amount of unrealistic back-slapping and glad-handing. ...

Even with GRJ's sometimes "wise guy" responses to certain things, ...
A heard a phrase from my consulting days: "Self admiration society."

Sometimes written sarcastic humor is misunderstood without the accompanying vocal inflections.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Well my summer hiatus is about over. Time for fall, winter and indoor activities again. Hit the Train Club last weekend, first time in several months, felt good.

Glad to see the self admiration club move on...

Hello again Vern and good to see you back Art!!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Thanks, guys! It feels good to be back.

Jeff, I missed you at the train show Sunday, but I'm glad you are back again too.

Art

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.