Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been sitting on a siding a few miles from my house. Behind them are several huge cold storage buildings for all sorts of fruit, mainly apples for Motts... And 2 of my
002.JPG
005.JPG
005.JPG
002.JPG
005.JPG
002.JPG
AF engines.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
The photo looks to be an ALCO S4, or S something or other..Your models don't seem to match that if that's what you are asking..."And two of my AF engines " << What does this mean ?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Pretty sure that means American Flyer... I think they are Baldwin VO-1000's,
or as close as AF came to it... prettty nice models!!

flyernut, what to use for the plywood in the windows?? 😆 😅

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty sure that means American Flyer... I think they are Baldwin VO-1000's,
or as close as AF came to it... prettty nice models!!

flyernut, what to use for the plywood in the windows?? 😆 😅
How about balsa wood?

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Great link, thanks for posting it Sagas. I am a Pittsburgher yet never heard of the Genesee and Wyoming.
When flyernut posted the pictures of two of his Gilbert Baldwins and the GW engine I thought it was a Baldwin with different hood detail. After looking closer at it I now see the difference in the cab design, so what is it, some type of Alco?

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Nice pics flyernut. I wonder why the cab windows are boarded up. Maybe its a slug now.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
This illustrates what I keep saying. I always learn something from the members of this Forum. Thanks for posting flyernut and thanks for the ID Tom. About 75 miles east of me there is a similar looking engine. Next time I am over that way I will get a picture of it. I've always wondered what model it was. I always figured it was some type of Alco but now I wonder. This one is still in use moving grain cars around in a large grain handling facility. It looks pretty much like the one pictured as far as shape and design. There is plenty of rust on it but also yellow paint but not UP shade. There is lettering under the rust but hard to tell what it says.

Mopac, the windows were probably boarded up to stop vandals from knocking out the glass. Seems like around here where there is an empty building and any kind of window size, there is also a rock or two thrown through it. A friend of mine has 2 empty buildings down town and both HAD big store windows. I say had. Now plywood.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Same here. I know relatively little about prototype engines and assumed the one pictured was a Baldwin. I never knew ALCO made a similar looking engine.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Those are cool links. Thanx!
I wonder what my wife would think If I had that diesel moved behind the house, then painted it to match my AF 355?

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
I assume you are familiar with Ward Kimball, one of the Disney animators and a charter member of Walt’s Nine Old Men team. He was the creator of Jimminy Cricket. Ward had a very large Train collection from around the world and had a complete, full size railroad in his backyard. I had the privilege of being invited to Ward’s house to see the collection, the railroad and spend some time with him. His railroad was documented in CTT in about 2000 or 2001. Tell your wife one engine is no big deal compared to Ward’s backyard railroad!

·
Registered
183 Posts
There was a railfan who died a couple of years ago near here. He had a caboose and a couple of boxcars scattered around his property. A lot of other train stuff too. I could see an old caboose set up as a bunk house in the back. I wouldn't know how to move it cheaply though...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts